FF Dream Cruise Tips - Decorating Door and Cabin

It is very common on the Disney ships (and sometimes seen on other cruiselines) to decorate your door.  It's a way of saying "Hey I Love Disney"  :rofl2: or "Hello, this is who occupies this cabin & these are our hobbies/family, etc"  family-smile.gif  Just tell people a little about yourself, kind of like the lamps and signs and flamingos we decorate our campsites with.  In some of the images in the Fish Exchange List thread you'll see glimpses of this.  If you search online you'll find thousands of photos.  I've seen from one magnet to the entire door covered in paper and then artwork done on it!  Some people have great imaginations.

Your cabin door is metal and it is magnetic.  You may purchase or create magnets for putting on the door.  If you are creating them yourself, you can purchase thick magnetic sheets online, or you can purchase thinner magnetic sheets at office suppy stores, for your home printer.  Be creative & just print at home and cut them to size.  It's very easy to do.  The other-not-to-be-named website has a section for artwork for creating your personalized magnets.  But don't be deterred....after you've thought of something you want to create, just google it & you'll usually find it.  There are several other websites that discuss this and have artists/creative people who will design things for you.  Photobucket is full of images, with "Millipie" as the leader of the group.

Before you ask this popular question, the doors on the ships are 27 inches wide.  Disney will NOT permit you to attach anything with tape, staples or even the 3m products.  Be careful in what you put on your door, others will take pictures of it & they'll end up online forever.  It is not suggested to put young children's photos or your address/phone number out there for the world to see.  It's also nice if traveling with others to put up a dry erase board or notepad/pen for leaving notes. 

Be sure that you take as many decorations for your door and the inside of your cabin to have fun with or make you feel more 'at home', but not so much that you spend your entire time putting them up and taking them down, or have issues with too much luggage because you have 4 bags worth of magnets!  Oh, and one other thing, magnets are HEAVY.  You wouldn't think so, but when you put lots of them into one bag it might become difficult to manage (I wonder how I know this?!)

Now, some :rofl2: have accused me of being a little 'over zealous' shall we say, in my decorating.  They've even said I'm tacky.  Poo-Poo to them.  Anyway, I personally like to decorate my cabin door no matter what cruiseline I am on.  For example:

DSCN1995.jpg

Everyday I changed out some of my magnets, but I always kept up the mini version of my camp sign, my FW Musket Mickey's, and the photo of my FW clothesline!!  Some days I put up our college flags, other days pictures of us at the different theme parks went up.

DSCN1996.jpg

DSC07443.jpg

On our anniversary I put up love-themed magnets

DSC07441.jpg

DSC07437.jpg

On the last full day all were cleared except for those saying we didn't want to leave. 

DSCN2350.jpg

These are from one of our trips on a Princess cruise ship over Valentine's.  On Princess my routine is to post pics of previous CMs that helped make our cruise special.  The word gets out about our door and then they come by for visits and to autograph their photos.  Sounds crazy but they really enjoy the notoriety and kudos they get from their crewmates. 

DSCN2844.jpg  The little 'table' in the entry DSCN2839.jpg 

my nightstand DSCN2840.jpg  DSCN2841.jpg  DSCN2837.jpg  DSC08555.jpg 

Somehow I managed to not get a pic of the bathroom!  Yes, I even decorated the bathroom.  Silly me.  (We were on a long cruise or I wouldn't have taken all of this 'stuff' that literally got the largest suitcase we carried!!)

This really is fun to do if you're even the teensiest bit 'into' decorating.  I hope you enjoy prepping your door.  If you'd like to see a larger size of any of the pics, please let me know.  (Sorry some of these are so large!! After hours of loading/resizing/editing pics some links just aren't working right)

• 3 months later...