Disney is testing new tickets at Epcot

Disney is testing a new ticket scanning system at Epcot which does not require tickets to be inserted into a machine.  It would eliminate turnstiles thus making it easier and quicker to enter the parks, especially for families with strollers or ECV/WCs.

I have no inside information and this is a guess on my part. I think they may be using tickets with RFID technology. My basis is, that the new CM ID cards use it and costuming now uses it as well. All of our costumes now have an RFID tag. I'm also guessing that they will also use it in future KTTW cards.

In my real line of work, RFID (Radio Frequency IDentification) is nothing new. It's been around for a long time. Developments that have reduced the cost drastically now make it economical to use it in many, many applications.

The process doesn't require scanning or line of sight.

Look for it to be used in all sorts of shopping. Every product would have an RFID tag embedded in the product or label and all you have to do is bring the shopping cart or bag to within a certain distance of the reader and everything is checked out at once. It's great technology.

We used this last week.  I think there were 10 or 12 'machines' available.  I have an annual pass & it worked great.  My son has a military ticket (hard card like a credit card) that doesn't have the upc style coding on it.  They DON"T work at all because nothing for the little light to scan.  He finally gave up & a CM swiped his card on a handheld device.  Then we were in like Phin.  There were NO LINES at this section either  8)

We used this last week.

I'm surprised that your AP already had the RFID tag in it. Wonder when Disney started putting them in?

We've had our RFID ID cards for about a year, but the readers are not in place yet so we're still scanning using the mag strip.

Did you still have to do the finger scan?

Yes, still had to do the finger strip.  The little machine reminded me of the price checker at WM or Target, a set of swirling red lights and you put your number under it and put finer on scanner, machine beeps & you're in.