• 4 weeks later...

We liked it. It's a typical beach campground -- flat, practically no shade -- but they do have attempts at those scraggly little beach trees sprinkled all over different sites. It's got an indoor and outdoor pool, a couple fishing ponds, and sites on either beach or sound.

We went in the off-season, so there wasn't a whole lot open in Rodanthe, but we went up to Kill Devil Hills and Kitty Hawk to hang out. The Wright Brothers Memorial was really cool, and we LOVE LOVE Jockey's Ridge State Park, the biggest dunes on the east coast. You can hang glide there if you're so inclined (they teach you). There are horse/jeep beach rides to see wild ponies, and plenty of little boutiques to shop at.

My one warning is DO NOT go to the Dairy Queen right near the Wright Brother's Memorial. They will completely rip you off, the scallywags! We went for cones, and I ended up only affording them for the two kids, while I sat and stared longingly. Seriously, the cost is almost double what we pay at home. Insane.

Oh, and a DEFINITE DO: Find the Black Pelican restaurant and try them, if you like seafood.

But back to the campground: It's super pet-friendly (they gushed over campers with pets, offering home-baked pet treats...not even a stale lollipop offered to the human kids, though, lol), and I think they have activities in-season.

Have fun!

Kate