More 40th Anniversary merchandise

From the Disney Parks blog...

Colorful Merchandise for Walt Disney World?s 40th Anniversary

posted on March 22nd, 2011 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

cma938131SMALL.jpg

What is your favorite color? My favorite has always been blue (it?s the color of my eyes). Recently, I discovered a new color that is giving blue some competition ? charcoal. It would seem like charcoal is invading the marketplace (or perhaps only my life ? my new love seat and certain items from my wardrobe are now charcoal). So imagine my delight to see the recently introduced colorful merchandise created for the 40th Anniversary of Walt Disney World Resort. Charcoal is just one of several colors used in this art program that also includes colors with names like antique white, gold nugget, black iris, true red and petunia. Like many things at Disney Theme Park Merchandise, selecting colors for an art program is a collaborative one. I spoke with Sandi Sloan Hays and Julie Young, both product developers and 40th Anniversary colors champions, about the process.

cma747177SMALL.jpg

?We considered several factors when deciding on the colors featured in this program,? explained Sandi, who represented the softlines division. ?We considered popular colors or trends in the marketplace and colors that would look good on guests. We also reviewed what worked well in the past from a sales perspective.?

For the 40th Anniversary, the colors needed to be retro-inspired, not necessarily true colors from the 1970s. The team selected what I?m calling ?sophisticated 1970s? colors ? it?s like the 1970s but without those ?amazing? shades of yellow, orange, green or red (see this article for a colorful 1970s reference photo).

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/12/new-disney-cookbook-features-old-new-recipes/

cma462671SMALL.jpg

?Softlines drove a lot of the decision behind the colors used since they created the clothing and accessory items,? continued Julie. ?The hardlines division which I represented took its cue from softlines. The goal was to create a cohesive look, so both softlines and hardlines items could sit nicely together on the sales floor.?

cma283717SMALL.jpg

You will see these colors used on a variety of items, from polo-style shirts, tee-shirts, hoodie sweatshirt jackets, Disney pins, Vinylmation, laptop sleeves, bath towels and much more. I think my favorite item is the track suit! I saw the best presentation of these items at the World of Disney at Downtown Disney Marketplace. There are also select items on the Disney Theme Park On-Line Store.

http://www.disneystore.com/disney-parks-authentic/wdw-40-anniversary/mn/1004101/?CMP=Parks&att=SM40thColors

I asked Sandi and Julie about their favorite color from this program. Sandi chose gold nugget as ?gold is very 1970s,? while Julie preferred petunia. For me, I?m sticking with charcoal ? sorry, blue.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/03/colorful-merchandise-for-walt-disney-worlds-40th-anniversary/

• 3 weeks later...

More cool stuff from the Disney Parks blog...

Cinderella Castle Collage: Celebrating 40 Years of Magic at Walt Disney World

posted on March 7th, 2011 by Dara Trujillo, Manager, Merchandise Synergy, Events, and Communication

When you think of Walt Disney World, what?s the first thing that comes to mind? For me, I think of Cinderella Castle. It has been a royal beacon and luminescent icon of Walt Disney World for almost 40 years. As we get ready to celebrate 40 years of magic and wonder at Walt Disney World, Disney Theme Park Merchandise has created something special ? a pattern that represents both Cinderella Castle and the iconic attractions that have comprised our magical kingdom since 1971.

ccc038177SMALL.jpg

40th Anniversary Cinderella Castle Collage

The new program, Cinderella Castle Collage, features much-loved posters of attractions that have come and gone over the past 40 years. Similar to the 40th Anniversary Collage print that Steven & I have told you about over the past few weeks, the print for the Cinderella Castle collage was created to evoke nostalgic memories for Guests, and hopefully make a few say, ?Oh my gosh! I forgot how much I LOVED that attraction when I was younger!? I caught up with Summer Bloomfield, Product Developer for Disneyland & Magic Kingdom Affinity, to find out more about the commemorative Castle Collage collection.

ccc018388SMALL.jpg

Cinderella Castle Collage T-Shirt

?The essence of the program is the castle silhouette made up of our beloved attraction posters,? explained Summer. ?We had the chance to mix in our personal favorites, as well as posters that we knew Guests had a strong affinity toward.?

Summer made sure that the product mix was diverse, so that every Guest who would be charmed by the artwork could bring a piece of the magic home with them. This unique take on Cinderella Castle can be found on everything from picture frames and ornaments to mugs and coaster sets.

?I kept thinking to myself that this art isn?t just perfect for apparel, but it?s the kind of art that Disney Fans would want to have in their home,? continued Summer.

ccc023888SMALL.jpg

Cinderella Castle Collage Frame

After speaking with Summer, I went straight to the source of the art, Disney Design Group Graphic Artist, Tyler Dumas. I wanted to know more about what he went through to design the Cinderella Castle Collage.

?I had to play with the cropping and placement of the posters so that they would work with the overall castle image, while still telling the story of the individual attractions,? said Tyler. ?It was really important to me to feature a diverse collection of attraction posters to speak to the variety of popular park experiences.?

The first time I saw the Cinderella Castle Collage, I spent quite a bit of time trying to identify each attraction poster that was used. As you can tell, some posters are easier to identify than others. Can you name all of the attractions that make up the collage? I?ll give you a hint: there are 18 different attraction posters for you to discover!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/03/cinderella-castle-collage-celebrating-40-years-of-magic-at-walt-disney-world/

• 2 months later...

From the Disney Parks Blog. Even MORE 40th anniversary merch...

Summer Styles for D-Tech at Disney Parks

posted on June 28th, 2011 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

dte589434SMALL.jpg

There was once a time in my life that I didn’t carry any portable electronic devices. Today, however, it seems my electronic gadgets have become accessory items similar to socks or ties. Kevin-Michael Lezotte, Product Developer for D-Tech, and I were recently talking about an industry trend he’s seen where people are decorating electronic accessories to match outfits or moods. While I have trouble selecting which outfit to wear each day, I can understand this trend (I seem to frequently change my profile picture to match my mood). To help those who like to keep their technology well-dressed, Kevin-Michael gave me a look at some new summer “outfits” from D-Tech.

The first items Kevin-Michael shared were new smart phone cases which arrive in July. He said the six different colored cases each with Mickey Mouse are an expansion of the D-Tech product line.

spa584334SMALL.jpg

“We continue to expand the D-Tech line with new items such as the smart phone cases that have a metallic finish,” explained Kevin-Michael. “There are so many choices for technology, especially in the mobile phone market. I continue looking for ways to introduce D-Tech items to match the phones that guests are carrying.”

Bright colors and shiny objects were common themes with the new items coming in August. There are four new iPhone 4 covers made of thermoplastic polyurethane, a flexible material that wraps around the phone. Kevin-Michael also added some sparkle to a new case featuring Minnie Mouse (the Mickey Mouse case will arrive for the holiday season later this year).

bel584322SMALL.jpg

One of the items I can’t wait to wear is the smart phone belt clip case, which is also arriving in August. The case has one of my favorite details – a Mickey Mouse “world” icon (or is that a Mickey Mouse “world wide web” icon?).

The last item that Kevin-Michael shared doesn’t arrive until the fall, but I couldn’t wait to share the news.

pll584332SMALL.jpg

“Coming this fall, we will be introducing some limited edition D-Tech items,” said Kevin-Michael. “The first item will be a limited edition case for the iPhone 4 that commemorates the 40th Anniversary of Walt Disney World. I know that some Disney fans like to have unique collectible items to show off, so limited edition cases seemed like a great way to go.”

The 40th Anniversary case will use the merchandise collage which I first discussed in February 2011. The case will have an edition size of 1971 (nice touch!) and will be released closer to the actual anniversary on October 1 (stay tuned for more details). Kevin-Michael also showed me a limited edition case with artwork that can be summarized in one word – “Steampunk!” But that is for another Disney Parks Blog article.

The majority of these items will be released at several locations in California and Florida. You can also find a selection of D-Tech items via the Disney Parks On-Line Store.

From the Disney Parks blog...

Celebrating 40 Years of Walt Disney World Magic in Style with Dooney & Bourke

posted on February 18th, 2011 by Dara Trujillo, Manager, Merchandise Synergy, Events, and Communication

A few days ago, Steven Miller introduced you to the Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary collage. As you saw in Steven’s post, the “40th Collage” program is found on keepsakes all around our magical kingdom. The nostalgic print can be found on everything from photo albums and memo pads to mouse pads and address books. But there’s one line of merchandise that Steven left out (actually I begged him to let me break the news…) – the new Dooney & Bourke 40th Anniversary Collection for Disney Parks.

fad019371SMALL.jpg

The newest Disney Theme Park Exclusive Dooney & Bourke collection features six different silhouettes and takes the essence of the 40th Anniversary collage and transforms it into Disney Style that you can showcase every day. The bags feature everything from retro Walt Disney World icons to classic silhouettes of Mickey Mouse, plus original park tickets & maps and autographs from a few famous friends. This commemorative collection highlights the essence of Disney with color, style and nostalgic touches.

fad025718SMALL.jpg

To help us celebrate the official launch of the 40th Anniversary co-branded Collection, Walt Disney World is welcoming back Ian Ray, Creative Director from Dooney & Bourke. It was around this time last year that Ian joined us for the release of Minnie & Mickey Faces & the Tonal Mickey co-branded collections. Ian Ray will be making a special appearance at Uptown Jewelers in Magic Kingdom on Saturday, February 26, 2011, from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.

fad038193SMALL.jpg

As an extra special treat, to commemorate Disney’s Princess Half Marathon weekend, we will be offering the Dooney & Bourke Princess Collection for Disney Parks for 25 percent off! This special offer on the Dooney & Bourke Princess Collection for Disney Parks is only available February 25–27 at select merchandise locations throughout Walt Disney World.

If you happen to be at Magic Kingdom on Saturday, February 26, make sure to stop by Uptown Jewelers to not only meet Dooney & Bourke’s Creative Director, Ian Ray, but to get an up-close look at the newest Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary Disney Theme Park Exclusive Dooney & Bourke Collection and save 25 percent on the Dooney & Bourke Princess Collection for Disney Parks.

Friendly Disclaimer: 25 percent off Dooney & Bourke Pop Princess Collection discount taken at register February 25–27, 2011. Offer not valid on previous purchases. Available while supplies last. Offer subject to change without notice. Offer only available at Uptown Jewelers in Magic Kingdom, Princess Half Marathon Expo in Jostens Center at ESPN Wide World of Sports, Summer Lace in Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, and World of Disney Store & Tren-D in Downtown Disney Marketplace.

• 4 weeks later...

From The Disney Food Blog - more cool 40th anniversary merchandise!

New Kevin Kidney Designs Celebrate WDW’s 40th!

Aug 1st, 2011 by Kim. Popular Disney artists Kevin Kidney and Jody Daily bring their brilliant designs to Walt Disney World’s 40th anniversary party!

After receiving an invite to create nostalgic concepts for WDW’s souvenir collectibles, the artists set to work. Inspired by vintage Walt Disney World — yes, including 70’s orange and lime green — their submissions included attraction replicas, scale models, and retro Tiki mugs.

For the final designs, Kevin and Jody collaborated with Disney artist Linda Flynn from Disney’s Design Group and merchandise team. We’re excited to announce that some food-related designs made the cut!

Check out the awesomely retro Magic Kingdom paper cup now in collectible ceramic style!

WDW-ceramic-paper-cups-KJ.jpg

Kevin Kidney's WDW ceramic paper cup Illustrated with the colorful 1971 Preview Center map, this boxed dinnerware set will take you back to the opening days of the Magic Kingdom!

WDW-Map-Plate-Set-KJ.jpg

WDW Map Plate Set Kevin Kidney Look for Kevin Kidney and Jody Daily at WDW’s Fortieth Anniversary event. They’ll make an appearance and host a signing event at the Magic Kingdom on October 1, 2011!

No plans for a WDW visit? Call the Walt Disney World Guest Services Mail Order Merchandise Dept. at (407) 363-6200 to collect these “vintage” items!

From WDW News Today...

“Key to the Kingdom” WDW 40th Anniversary Ink and Paint Cel Premieres

Posted on August 4, 2011

Art of Disney Parks recently announced a new Ink and Paint Cel that is on the way just in time for Walt Disney World’s 40th anniversary:

KeyToTheKingom_resized.jpg

Event: Key to the Kingdom Ink and Paint Cel Premiere

Special Guests: Disney Design Group Artist, Costa Alavezos and Ink & Paint Artists, James Bonserio, Erin Magill, Theodora M. DeLaney, David Rippberger, Lynn Rippberger, Sharon K. Vincent

Event Date: Saturday, September 3, 2011

Event Times: 10:00am -1:00pm & 2:00pm – 5:00pm

Event Location: Studios Animation Gallery, Disney’s Hollywood Studios

Celebrate 40 Magical years with the newest commemorative release from the Disney Studios Ink & Paint Team!

Key to the Kingdom captures the essence of wonder and excitement that comprised the magical kingdom since it opened its gates on October 1, 1971.

The talented Ink & Paint team hand painted the iconic Mickey Mouse and loveable Pluto onto each Key to the Kingdom cel in this celebratory release comprised of 1500 cels.

An exclusively designed pin has been created to commemorate the release of the new cel, the pin is available with the first 750 orders placed for a framed cel only.

KeyToTheKingdom_PinResized.jpg

Key to the Kingdom

Limited Edition Pin

The Ink and Paint cel frames are wooden frames with options of either black or gold finishing. All Ink and Paint cels are framed in museum grade plexi to preserve the delicate art.

If you are unable to attend the premiere of Key to the Kingdom, but would still like to purchase the Ink & Paint cel, please contact Walt Disney Event Services to pre-order your cel.

All pre-orders must be placed with

Walt Disney Event Services no later than

Friday, September 2, 2011 by 3:00pm EST.

Walt Disney Event Services

at 407-827-7600

Monday – Friday

9:00am – 12:00pm & 1:00pm – 5:00pm

Key to the Kingdom

IS AVAILABLE IN THE FOLLOWING FRAME OPTIONS:

FRAMING OPTIONS & RETAILS

Unframed Cel $125 Black Frame and Cel $215 Black Frame with Pin and Cel $240 Black Frame with Pin, Postcard and Cel $265 Gold Frame and Cel $290