Opinions needed... do you think that a double axle TT with some distance between the axles is good, bad or no real benefit?  We're torn between a couple of models and are trying to decide if we should find value in the axles being spread apart.  Being new to all of this, my thought is it would be helpful with stability as you're pulling it but, again, I know so very little so I could be missing something.

Right now we like the following units:

32", 5900#, axles have space.  Coachmen

33", 6500", axles are close together.  Jayco

31", 5400#, axles are close together.  Palomino/Solaire

Our TV has a tow rating of 9100 lbs, but a shorter wheelbase (123").

Opinions???

I have had two different trailers with varying axel spacing and have not noticed any difference, however with a tow vehicle wheel base of 123" towing may get a little touchy here and there depending on road conditions.   I tow with a newer ram 1500 and my current trailer is 32' tip to tail at 6600#  empty.  My truck has a wheelbase of 139" or 133" can't remember but my old trailer was 27' tip to tail and I was concerned the longer trailer would start to wag the dog a little (and as for the tow police I had it balanced wd and friction sway installed) and I invested in a propride p3 hitch.  thing is awesome, no sway at all, tows like a dream.  Expensive but really nice.  This would b an option to consider with that wheelbase trailer length combo.  I am not saying you can not tow with your 123" wheelbase, you can, but would it be the most relaxing towing experience available to you?

frank

Frank, 

Thanks for the comment (this is Tom...NaCole's husband). I have been seriously considering the Propride hitch for the very reason with the shorter wheelbase and longer trailer. I have heard nothing but incredible remarks. A lot of people have highly rated the equalizer but some have had both and rave what a difference the Propride makes. We are not sure if the Propride plus the extra spacing of the axles would make even more difference and ensure the safest travel with our TV. 

Tom

Tom, I had a Reese 4pt friction sway/wd hitch before my p3, it worked very good for my old trailer but the new one was 2000# heavier and 5-6ft longer.  I oversized the Reese (8000#) for use on a lighter trailer and it worked well.  I can say with confidence that the new trailer, although within the operational limits of the Reese, would have been too much for that hitch.  It would have worked 80-90% of the time but that 10-20% would have been white knuckles experiences.  ProPride eliminates sway by creating a rigid connection between your trailer and tow vehicle.  With this setup, only the tow vehicle can lead on  a turn.  If the trailer tries to turn (. Sway) if can not and then tries to move the tow vehicle along with trailer.  The result is occasional drift but no sway.  Now if the TV turns the trailer will follow along but the trailer can not turn the TV. 

There is another thing to keep in mind while towing.  If your trailer is equal too or slightly heavier than the TV you will experience more drifting, nothing terrible just need to be aware of it.  The difference between the drift I am speaking of and sway would be .....driving along at 65 and semi tractor passes you at 72-75.......friction sway: I used to check mirrors , let off gas a little, move over a bit and wait for the burst of energy to start a little sway, feather gas a bit, wait for hitch to damper sway , then resume speed.     protrude p3:  look out my driver window...... oh there is a semi there 18" away, didn't even know he was passing me, that good!  (this is where the drifting would come into play here, same thing as in a pickup or car when passed by a semi..... slight displacement.... which could be slightly more if TV is on the light side)

There is another thing to keep in mind while towing.  If your trailer is equal too or slightly heavier than the TV you will experience more drifting, nothing terrible just need to be aware of it.  The difference between the drift I am speaking of and sway would be .....driving along at 65 and semi tractor passes you at 72-75.......friction sway: I used to check mirrors , let off gas a little, move over a bit and wait for the burst of energy to start a little sway, feather gas a bit, wait for hitch to damper sway , then resume speed.     protrude p3:  look out my driver window...... oh there is a semi there 18" away, didn't even know he was passing me, that good!  (this is where the drifting would come into play here, same thing as in a pickup or car when passed by a semi..... slight displacement.... which could be slightly more if TV is on the light side)

I have had two different trailers with varying axel spacing and have not noticed any difference, however with a tow vehicle wheel base of 123" towing may get a little touchy here and there depending on road conditions. I tow with a newer ram 1500 and my current trailer is 32' tip to tail at 6600# empty. My truck has a wheelbase of 139" or 133" can't remember but my old trailer was 27' tip to tail and I was concerned the longer trailer would start to wag the dog a little (and as for the tow police I had it balanced wd and friction sway installed) and I invested in a propride p3 hitch. thing is awesome, no sway at all, tows like a dream. Expensive but really nice. This would b an option to consider with that wheelbase trailer length combo. I am not saying you can not tow with your 123" wheelbase, you can, but would it be the most relaxing towing experience available to you?

frank

Air lift makes a good coil air bag for the dodge makes a big difference

I have those air bags on my truck, best 90 bucks spent.  I run them at 35psi all the time.  They work great