If any of you use a Cricut machine and the SCAL software, I just got this notice from one of my vinyl suppliers that I use to make T-shirts:

As you may have heard Provo Craft has sued the makers of

Make the Cut and Sure Cuts A Lot.  Sadly they have already

reached a settlement with Make the Cut and new versions

will no longer work with the Cricut. If you have an old

version just don't update it and it should continue to work

as long as your Cricut does.

Provo Craft and SCAL are still in court.  Which means if you

have ever considered purchasing SCAL now is the time to do

it.  If they do have to stop letting SCAL be compatible with

the Cricut buying now should ensure you a usable copy.  This

too should continue to work as long as your Cricut.

Well, that just sucks if you use SCAL because it gives you more options that Design Studio.

Here's Provo Craft's official statement:

Official Statement from Provo Craft?

We at Provo Craft would like to address some of the comments that have been made recently about steps we have taken to address the sale of unauthorized software programs. We hope that providing this context will help our customers understand why we have taken these steps, and why we believe we are acting in both a fair and ethical manner.

Speaking generally, we?d like to comment about our right to seek legal protection for the products we?ve developed through legitimate means.  As a creative company, we have invested significant resources to invent the Cricut and to continue to develop Cricut products.  Cricut is the end-result of individuals having invested their own money, creative ideas, and hard work to bring a unique product to the crafting community.  We?re also committed to improving our products, so we continually invest in innovation and in the sourcing and production of new art content for the Cricut.

As we have invented Cricut products, we have been granted copyright and trademark rights that protect us from, among other things, any company that unlawfully circumvents or ?hacks? our security measures for its own financial gain.  We regret that exercising our legal right to protect ourselves from such activity would give any of our customers a reason to be upset with us.  But we also believe that provided the facts, reasonable people will understand that the steps we have taken are legitimate and fair by virtually any standard of law and ethics.

With regard to Make the Cut!, in a jointly stipulated injunction filed in March, Make the Cut! agreed to discontinue the sale and support of its software for use with Cricut as remedy to the unlawful manner in which the software was developed.  The unlawful actions cited in the injunction include violation of the Cricut Design Studio end user license agreement and violations of U.S. copyright and trademark laws.  Earlier this month, Provo Craft and Make the Cut! amicably resolved the matter in a confidential settlement.

Provo Craft has filed suit against Craft Edge, Inc. alleging similar violations.  Because that involves ongoing litigation Provo Craft cannot comment further on the suit at this time.

Lastly, we know that some of our customers want the ability to cut with their Cricut certain images that are not available in the Cricut library.  Many of you know that in April we are releasing the first version of Cricut Craft Room, which is an all-new, free, online design platform for Cricut.  Though this specific feature won?t be available initially, we intend to provide our customers the ability to cut some of their own images in Cricut Craft Room in the future.  Like our customers, we?re passionate about creativity, and we?re committed to providing great products for the crafting community.

I really think I'll be selling my Cricut Expression and Gypsy. I understand their reasoning behind it...especially since they will be offering new, free software...

• 4 weeks later...

the cricut craft room isn't anything great.  you can design with any cartridges (even ones you don't own) but, again, you can only cut with the ones you own.  just like cds.  they are trying to fool everyone into thinking they are doing something great for us.  i don't see it as a benefit to me.

does anyone have SCAL for a decent price.  i am not going to buy the gypsy-even though it is getting to be a better price.  i don't think i want to give them anymore money...

From what I hhave read about the craft room anything u design on there is their's. I did find a decent price for SCAL, haven't purchased it yet.

http://www.scrappingtable.com/home.html

not a bad price

http://craftedge.com/purchase/craftedge/purchase_scal2.html

I am still thinking about it let me know if u get it. Have u used the trial version. I want it to cut other thing than the carts.

i like that price..  when they say not to run any updates (like when provocraft wins the lawsuit), do they mean updates for cricut?  will you still be able to go to sites and get pictures of something else to cut.  i am confused about that part.  i know piratejeff uses scal and i am waiting to see what he has to say.

i am afraid i will get it and be told not to update anything and i will want to cut something i find.  down load it and ruin the program.. lol

• 3 weeks later...

i got it SCAL! i played around with it last weekend. so many things to cut out now. lol i can't believe how much free stuff there is out there. i thought i would be looking around for hours to find it. i got 2 (for cricut) and 3 (for other cutters). that way if something happens and i am not happy with provocraft i can get another cutter.

i also downloaded inkscape. but, haven't played with that, yet. very happy i decided to grab it. i ended up buying it through www.craftedge.com . i have my bichon bash this weekend, after that i am all scrappin'! :banana: