Best Disney World Restaurants Not on the Disney Dining Plan

Found this article on the Disney Food blog and thought it was interesting.  Lots of people attribute the decline in the quality of dining around WDW to the Dining Plan.  So.... does that mean that these restaurants may have a leg up on the rest?  Also FWIW there are AP and TiW discounts available for some of these.  Some even sell discounted gift certificates on Restaurant.com.

Anyone tried any of these and have opinions/reviews to share?

Best Disney World Restaurants Not on the Disney Dining Plan

Apr 21st, 2011

by Kim.

As you know, Kim L. is our behind-the-scenes manager here at the Disney Food Blog, a Disney World Moms Panelist, and a blogger! You?ll begin to see her name more and more in that little author line! Learn more about her on our staff and contributors page! Here, she discusses her top choices for Disney World restaurants not on the Disney Dining Plan!

Lots of guests want to know the top restaurants when dining with the Disney Dining Plan, but since those restaurants seem to fill up more and more quickly these days, we?ve also been getting requests for recommendations on restaurants not included in the Dining Plan. Here are my picks for the best table service locations that do not participate in the DDP! ;-)

Top 5 Restaurants Not on the Disney Dining Plan, for Adults

Portobello

For guests craving a casual meal with value, Portobello at Downtown Disney dishes out hearty Italian fare. Choose from a value dinner menu, wood-burning oven pizzas, signature sandwiches plus a meatball and beer bar!

bucatini.jpg

AJ recommends the Bucatini!

House of Blues

Got late night munchies at Downtown Disney? House of Blues is open til 1 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights! The southern-inspired menu includes a large variety of sandwiches and seafood such as Creole Jambalaya. To soothe your soul, look for live musical entertainment on the indoor stage.

Seating-4-and-small-live-music-stage-350x524.jpg

Seating and small live music stage

Shula?s Steak House

Located at the WDW Dolphin Resort, Shula?s Steak House focuses on steaks and seafood. The generous portions are appropriate for this darkly lit ?man cave? owned by Miami Dolphins football coach, Don Shula. The casual elegance of this restaurant is well-suited for a business meal or special occasion.

Shulas-021.JPG

Tables and Artwork at Shula's

Fresh Mediterranean Market

Before walking over to Epcot, rise and shine with a buffet breakfast at Fresh Mediterranean Market in the Disney World Dolphin Resort. The morning meal is served a la carte or you can graze at the buffet. The simple dishes have delectable flavors fresh from the garden. Lunch is also served. With a sandwich or salad, an unlimited dessert buffet is included!

panini-500x333.jpg

Grilled Chicken Panini at Fresh

bluezoo

For your celebration, make a reservation at Todd English?s bluezoo in the WDW Dolphin Resort! Dine on cutting-edge cuisine with the emphasis on seafood specialties. The architecture and the food are works of art.

bluezoo-bbq-swordfish.jpg

BBQ Swordfish

Top 5 Restaurants Not on the Disney Dining Plan, for Kids

Rainforest Cafe

There?s a large menu and lots of kid-friendly options at the Rainforest Caf?. Of the two convenient locations ? Downtown Disney and the Animal Kingdom park ? the latter is the least crowded. Kids will enjoy watching the audio-animatronic animals and thrill at the simulated thunderstorms. Impress your kids by ordering the volcano dessert to share. Your wild child will enjoy sipping on the frozen concoctions delivered in a souvenir cup!

T-Rex Cafe

If you have aspiring paleontologists or just little dino fans, gather up the family for a meal at the T-Rex Cafe in Downtown Disney. You?ll dine with audio-animatronic dinosaurs (and cute little woolly mammoths) while waiting for the next simulated meteor shower. The T-Rex Cafe offers a menu that will appeal to the carnivores and herbivores at your table. Kids will find their fare listed under Dino Favorites!

meteor-bites.jpg

T-Rex Meteor Bites

The Fountain

At the WDW Dolphin Resort, The Fountain serves up kid-friendly eats and ice cream! In fact, the comfort food here is sure to please any weary traveler returning from World Showcase. For a touch of nostalgia, sit at the fountain?s counter! Stock up on a late night snack from the restaurant?s bakery choices. Delicious!

fountain-peanut-butter-and-jelly-milkshake-300x449.jpg

PB and J Milkshake

Garden Grove

Take the family to the Garden Grove at the WDW Swan Resort for the weekend character buffet breakfast. Evening buffets are themed such as Backyard Barbecue and Old South. The park-like setting is kid-friendly and fun!

Fulton?s Crab House

The kids will love dining walking up the gangplank at Downtown Disney to enjoy their meal on this stationary boat, Fulton?s Crab House! Along with fresh seafood, the kids menu includes familiar eats. Before disembarking, set your course for the make your own sundae!

Other options for non-DDP dining include Paradiso 37 (we recommend tapas and margaritas!), Wolfgang Puck Caf? ? Dining Room (the sushi here is great ? as is the carrot cake!), Il Mulino (when you have a craving for pasta!), and Kimonos (karaoke anyone?).

Wanna Save Some Dough? Many restaurants at the WDW Swan and Dolphin Resorts plus House of Blues at Downtown Disney are participating at www.restaurant.com. The savings can add up when purchasing a discounted gift certificate.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/04/21/best-disney-world-restaurants-not-on-the-disney-dining-plan/

Even though we have not at Portabella in a few years, it was very good, superior to Mama Melrose's.

I like Fulton's, did it year before last. A bit pricey, but good. But I have to say I wish they would convert the boat back to the Empress Lilly, with it's restaurants. The Steersman's Quarters was my favorite steakhouse type restaurant on the property. Service was second to none. They had a 'gimic' that the water boy would refill your glass, pouring from a pitcher held shoulder high and they would not spill or splash a drop.

I prefer the food at T-Rex over Rain Forest. The chicken fried steak could feed two or three people. I am not fond of eating in the ice cave though. No, it is not cold, but it is hard to read the menu in the subdued blue lighting.

We tried Fulton's for the first time last year for lunch - just couldn't bring myself to spring for dinner there.

And even then I think it was an $80+ lunch. with drinks.

We tried the seafood tower - gotta say it was pretty awesome.

But while some people may fantasize about breaking into a bank or maybe a toy store, I would like to sneak back in here after closing with a nut cracker and a vat of melted butter...

5211730843_6361305089_z.jpg