What Do You Do In Case The A/c Fails? Alarms? Backups?

After buying a used TT, I keep wondering if the a/c will decide to fail sometime when we're out, leaving the dogs to suffer heatstroke. I know some of you have backup generators or alarms. We own a generator, but don't normally take it along b/c it's loud.

Since we'll be at the fort in August, we're going to need that a/c running all the time. I just wondered what everyone else does as a precaution in the event your a/c would go out when you're not there. Do you leave a window or two open in addition to the a/c on? do you have a backup generator? maybe a portable backup a/c unit? an alarm? or is it something that just doesn't bother you, and I'm worrying about nothing??

I saw a stand-alone a/c unit at big lots the other day and keep thinking I should really go back to get it. I could plug it directly into the site's elec box so it didn't go thru the TT's power just in case the problem was in our TT. I haven't mentioned it to DH yet. I suspect he'd think I was over-reacting... and maybe I am... but our dogs are important so I want to take every precaution during a FL summer...

We bought a battery operated fan at Wal-Mart. It takes 8 "D" batteries and is about a foot in diameter. I'm actually quite happy with how well it works. If the dog is in the trailer, we leave it on to keep the air circulating. We always stop back during the day, so that should keep him cool enough until we can rectify the problem.

That's the plan. We have never actually tested it to see how well it works out, and hopefully we will never have to.

I have investigated USB based thermometers in the past for just such an eventuality. The therms usually include some scripts that can send an e-mail when a certain threshold is breached. Of course the system would need internet access (we use an aircard when camping) and you'd have to have a phone with e-mail capability. I never got past the investigation stage, but it seems a reasonable thing to pursue. A script to send an e-mail as soon as the laptop has to switch to battery power would be good, too, in case the temp doesn't rise before the battery is exhausted. Heck, you could even do some home automation stuff with X-10 to turn on fans if the AC fails.

ShantaClausSm.png

If this is a real concern for your pets safety you could install thermostat controlled fantastic fans in your roof vents. They would open and turn on at a set temp. incase of an AC or power failure. You could set one for intake and the other to exaust. They would run off of 12 volt and keep the inside cooler.

Just my thought It wouldn't be cheap but it would make a good failsafe backup to an AC problem while you are away.

Fantasict Fan

41H-GMPwCZL._SS500_.jpg

This actualy happened to us, we were staying at a State CG Lucky for us we were still there and stayed util the temp went down. I think the power was out all day. Someone had hit a telephone pole and they had to replace it. I just hat to think of what might have happened had he already gone. The next day I talked to the ranger gave them our phone numbers and asked if anything like that happends again to please call us!

If this is a real concern for your pets safety you could install thermostat controlled fantastic fans in your roof vents. They would open and turn on at a set temp. incase of an AC or power failure. You could set one for intake and the other to exaust. They would run off of 12 volt and keep the inside cooler.

Just my thought It wouldn't be cheap but it would make a good failsafe backup to an AC problem while you are away.

Fantasict Fan

41H-GMPwCZL._SS500_.jpg

This is what I added just for my dog works great and give me pace of mind when we are not there.

Two of those fans is a great idea! Thanks so much. I knew my fiends would have the answer.

It's not like we expect away from the TT a lot but it'd be so much better not to have to worry about a power failure if we were. We saved almost that much too, by buying the dual cam hitch/sway control last week from someone who just traded up to a 5er, so one of my add-on ideas wouldn't put us over-budget for a change... :banana:

We use our all the time. In the spring and fall keeps the air moving in the TT. When cooking and talking showers. It can change the air in our TT in about 2mins. And it will run all day on the house batteries if the power fails

41H-GMPwCZL._SS500_.jpg

We have 2 of these in the MH and they work just fine.

Leave a window or two slightly opened when you leave in the event the A/C dies or the power fails. You're on Disney electricity and are paying a pretty price for the site, so don't worry about wasting power. The only thing I will caution you on is that August is pretty humid in Florida and by leaving windows opened the inside of your TT may be a little damp - but not excessively.

• 1 year later...

:bump2: just bumping this after seeing a related thread earlier today about power outages while away from the site... :bump1:

I have a Dewalt Mobilelock in my TT (actually in several vehicles). It not only will call you if there is vibration but can be set to call you for high or low temperatures also. It is primarily a burglar alarm with GPS but has several added features. If I had to leave a pet inside I would just set it a few degrees higher then the ac thermostat and it would call me before things became uncomfortable.