Hurricanes and Fort Wilderness Campground

I am knocking on wood while I am typing this but....

I am curious as to how Fort Wilderness Campground at Disney World handles hurricanes and the guests/campers? We will be there Sept 14-21st which is still hurricane season right?

I have read posts on the other boards and understand that WDW is very good to the guests during these times.

Guess I would be a little worried about being in the camper should trees start falling and such! Although it would make an exciting ride!

We were camping the year of all the hurricanes at FW - left the day before they evacuated for Hurricane Wilma.  The staff at the FW kennels kept track of the storm for me.  I will say, however, that it was the very best weather we ever experienced in Florida - humidity was low, temps were in the upper 70's every day - can't say how it was after we left, though.  They do move the trailers and motorhomes into an empty parking lot, sort of grouped all together for protection.  If you have a pet boarded, best to leave them in the kennel.  They have an agreement with a local vet to take any overflow pets that don't have a spot.  I believe Best Friends has the same agreement going.

They will evacuate the Fort in the event of a severe tropical storm or a hurricane.  After the BIG 3 of 2004 the Fort was a blooming mess after each storm.  They had an army of tree removal companies working feverishly after each storm to put things back to normal as quickly as possible in order to get you back to your site.  If you are evacuated, do not go back to the Fort until they call & give you the "all clear".  If you do go back, they will force you to park in the parking lot & you will grow impatient.  So just wait.

Disney is very organized about the evacuation process, but you will have to exercise patience.  They will assign you to a resort & you will need to check in at the new resort.  Unless you are out of the campground pronto after the evacuation notice, you will stand in a long line to register for a room at your assigned resort. You will not be charged any additional $$ for the resort you are evac'd to, but you are on your own for meals & drinks.  Years ago they gave you meal vouchers, but they haven't done that since the mid-90's.

Seldom do hurricanes go that far inland in Florida and 2004 was a very FREAKISH season.  I had lived in Florida for 31 years by that time (most of which was in the Tampa Bay area) and had never seen a hurricane.  The year we move close to the Fort....BOOM!!!! 3 in a row!! My husband has lived in Florida all his life, and beside hurricane Donna in 1960, he had never seen another hurricane.  They usually avoid the west coast of Florida and especially die out by the time they reach the central part of Florida.

I'm saying all this to set you at ease.  Hurricanes are very rare in central Florida.  If they do hit, Disney is very, very prepared for them.  You will be very safe and well looked after.