Any Advice for the Florida Keys?

We are looking to go to the Florida Keys next July (leaving June 30th for 7 nights)....it appears the State Parks book quickly in well in advance. Any advice on specific campgrounds? We are leaning towards Curry Hammock or Bahia Honda. Thanks!

We are looking to go to the Florida Keys next July (leaving June 30th for 7 nights)....it appears the State Parks book quickly in well in advance. Any advice on specific campgrounds? We are leaning towards Curry Hammock or Bahia Honda. Thanks!

II would think Bahia Honda would be impossible as it's booked a year in advance. I have stayed at Knights Key right before the 7 mile bridge and I've been to Boyds on Stock Island near KW. I liked Boyds better. I've also heard Sunshine Key is good.

If you like grouper sandwiches go to the hogfish grill on Stock Island. You won't be sorry. Let me know if there's any other suggestions. I've been down 3 times in the last 6 years so I know a few spots.

II would think Bahia Honda would be impossible as it's booked a year in advance. I have stayed at Knights Key right before the 7 mile bridge and I've been to Boyds on Stock Island near KW. I liked Boyds better. I've also heard Sunshine Key is good.

If you like grouper sandwiches go to the hogfish grill on Stock Island. You won't be sorry. Let me know if there's any other suggestions. I've been down 3 times in the last 6 years so I know a few spots.

Thanks Donnie!

It is for next year, so I am hoping to book to the day 11 months out..I'll even get up at midnight to try and get a good site. So is Bahia Honda worth it? I'll look up Knights Key and Sunshine Key.

Thanks for the tip too on Hogfish --- we want to try some local food while down there.

I don't know about campgrounds. But don't take kids to Key West. Unless you have a very open mind. I always thought I did until we watched a parade on Duval St and they were throwing out beads and condoms. If it were just me and dh no problem. My 12yo wanted to know why they were tossing condoms. Then I wanted to know how my 12yo knew what a condom was. ???

If you've never been I wouldn't just stay away because of the lifestyle. There are some really cool landmarks to visit while there. Southernmost Point, Hemingway House and a couple other things. I also suggest going to Mallory Square to see the freak show. I doubt they will throw condoms lol.

• 2 months later...

If you have the $$$ stay at Blue Water Key, they are owned lots and rented by management for them. Each lot has it's own tiki hut and wharf (if you are water side or even canal side). No sunsets but sunrises are gorgeous. Only 11 miles from Key West and we would go there again.

Nancy