From the Disney Food blog...

Review: Le Cellier’s New Lunch Menu

Oct 9th, 2011 by AJ.

Learn About:

Le Cellier Steakhousewdwfeb8-012-450x337.jpg

Epcot Restaurants

Disney World Restaurants

We stopped by Le Cellier in Canada last week to sample the lunch menu, which has been tweaked yet again!

But more than just the menu, there were a few other surprises in store for us at Le Cellier as well! There’s a new martini flight, the desserts have been changed up a bit, and…believe it or not…the bread has changed!!

Let’s take a look…

Atmosphere

The atmosphere here remains exactly the same. You’re dining in a wine cellar, basically, so there are no windows and there’s very little light.

Le-Cellier-Atmosphere-2-300x476.jpg

Le Cellier Dining Room

The feel is cozy, however, rather than claustrophobic; and we love the fun arched stone details and “candlelight.”

Le-Cellier-Ceilings-500x333.jpg

Le Cellier Ceilings and Chandeliers

One of the reasons why this restaurant is so difficult to score a reservation for is because it’s just so tiny!

Eats

As you know, the dinner at Le Cellier is now a (more expensive) Signature Meal (you can see our review here).

Lunch remains a “one-credit” meal on the Disney Dining Plan and still has lower-cost menu items, but they have switched them around a bit.

Now on the menu you’ll find several Asian influences, like the Korean Barbecue Beef Skewer and the Asian Salmon Burger (the latter came as part of a menu switch last summer).

The Crab and Spinach Gratin is also a new item on the appetizer menu. The Pan-Roasted Salmon has been replaced with Maple-Glazed Salmon, and Brussels Sprouts with Bacon Butter have been added to the sides menu.

Menu-1-314x525.jpg

Menu - click image for larger version

Specialty-Menu-326x525.jpg

Specialty Menu

We started our meal with the new Martini Flight, featuring the Sassy Berry, Blueberry, and Godiva Chocolate martinis.

The Sassy Berry was my favorite, with a sweet raspberry flavor. The Godiva Chocolate Martini is the perfect choice for fans of super-sweet drinks — it was like chocolate milk with a kick! And the Blueberry Martini was my least favorite, even though it had the cool light-up ice cube. It tasted very alcoholic and didn’t have any blueberry flavor to speak of.

Martini-Flight-370x525.jpg

Martini Flight

The next change of the day? The bread basket! Those of us who are Le Cellier veterans are used to the bread “cone,” filled with sourdough, pretzel, and multi-grain breadsticks.

Now, guests receive a basket with more free-form pretzel breadsticks and sourdough and multi-grain rolls. The pretzel bread did taste the same, but we’re not sure we love the change.

Bread-Basket-500x397.jpg

Bread Basket

For appetizers, we ordered the duck meatballs and the poutine. The meatballs were one of the few menu items we hadn’t yet sampled, so we figured it was time to dive in! (Plus, my trip had been very duck-centric thus far, so we thought it was fitting.)

The meatballs were a mix of pros and cons. The texture was a bit dry and stringy, but the flavor was good. We also very much enjoyed the onion tart on which the meatballs were served! If the meatballs had been just a bit more moist, this would have been a winner.

Duck-Meatballs-500x333.jpg

Duck Meatballs

As always, the poutine was fabulous. I really like the lunch version and the dinner version of this dish…even though neither are considered “authentic” poutine by my Canadian friends! (Come on…fries, cheese, gravy…how can you go wrong?!)

Poutine-at-Lunch-500x333.jpg

Le Cellier Lunch Poutine

For entrees, we decided to sample the new Steak and Potato Skillet as well as stick with an old favorite — the mushroom filet.

The Steak and Potato skillet was, I’m sorry to say, a total bust for us. The steak was overdone and dry, the potatoes didn’t have much flavor, and there wasn’t much else going on in the dish. Honestly, I would have expected this kind of quality from a much lesser restaurant, especially for the price. (Apologies for the slightly blurry photos — they seated us in a VERY dark corner, and I had to keep getting up and bringing my food over to a spotlight to get good photos.)

Steak-and-Potato-Skillet-500x333.jpg

Steak and Potato Skillet

Steak-and-Potato-Skillet-close-up-500x333.jpg

Steak and Potato Skillet close up

Luckily, the mushroom filet continues to deliver with superstar marks. I don’t think I’ve ever had a bad dish of this stuff. The filet was tender and perfectly cooked, the mushroom risotto with truffle butter sauce was phenomenal, and the overall dish was superb.

Filet-500x360.jpg

Filet

We didn’t order dessert on this trip, mostly because we looked at the “dummy versions” on display when we came in and were disappointed in what we saw.

The Bumble Berry Cobbler is no longer the awesomeness in a skillet that it was last year (see the pic below!)

Bumble-Berry-Cobbler-500x333.jpg

Bumble Berry Cobbler in 2010

Instead…it was this tiny thing. icon_sad.gif

Bumble-berry-cobbler-500x333.jpg

Bumble berry cobbler in 2011

And the Whiskey Cake has moved from this…

Final-day-022.jpg

Chocolate Whiskey Cake in 2009

…to this…

whisky-cake-500x333.jpg

whiskey cake in 2011

I get that the portion sizes in Disney World are often too large, and I’m not arguing that we need MORE food. But if you’re going to shrink the sizes of desserts, at least shrink the prices as well!

Overall

Le Cellier is going through a lot of changes right now, and while it’s still one of the most-beloved restaurants in Disney World, it’s starting to become a little inconsistent in my opinion.

I still highly recommend this restaurant for both adults and families, but I have to advise that the mushroom filet is the way to go at Le Cellier — no matter what. There are other good dishes, yes, but they’re not as consistent as this one. And for the amount of hassle you have to go through to get a reservation at this place, you might as well ensure that you’re going to enjoy your meal!

Oh, yeah — and get the poutine! You can’t go wrong!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/10/09/review-le-celliers-new-lunch-menu/