From the Disney Food blog...

Disney Food Trend: Savory Beignets

Nov 29th, 2011 by AJ.

One of the new food trends I noticed on my last visit to Walt Disney World was the use of savory beignets as sides or garnishes in many of the dishes I tried!

I don’t know about you, but beignets have always been sweet and powdered-sugary in my world; I’d never heard or seen a savory version! But it’s always good to sample something new! Here are a few of the versions I saw…

Sweet Potato Beignet: Yachtsman Steakhouse

At Yachtsman Steakhouse in Disney’s Yacht Club Resort, the Sweet Potato Beignet was a rib-eye steak side dish that we thought was a lot of fun!

Light, airy, and savory-sweet, this was an interesting mouth feel for a flavor most of us know well.

Sweet-Potato-Beignets-at-Yachtsman-Steakhouse-500x365.jpg

Sweet Potato Beignets at Yachtsman Steakhouse

Sweet-Potato-Beignets-at-Yachtsman-Steakhouse-close-up-500x326.jpg

Sweet Potato Beignets at Yachtsman close-up

Mushroom Beignet: Flying Fish Cafe

Over at my beloved Flying Fish Cafe, the “exotic forest mushroom beignets” came as an accompaniment to the Sherry-laced Sweet Onion Crema soup of the day, and, my oh my was it amazing!

The beignets didn’t have a strong mushroom flavor, but added another texture and a mushroom-y essence to the (deeeelicious!) soup.

Mushroom-Beignets-at-Flying-Fish-Cafe-500x358.jpg

Mushroom Beignets in the Onion Soup at Flying Fish Cafe

Crawfish Beignet: Boatwright’s

Thanks to Deb Koma from AllEars.net who told me about the crawfish beignets over at Boatwrights at Disney’s Port Orleans Resort Riverside! These accompany the grilled tenderloin medallions, which are also served with “mac and cheese.” Deb gives them a thumbs up!

Crayfish-Beignets-at-Boatwrights-500x356.jpg

Crawfish Beignets at Boatwrights

Would you welcome savory beignets on your plate, or is the concept just a bit too weird for you? I wasn’t 100% sure I’d like that same texture without the sweet taste, but as it turned out, they seemed more like flavored bread than dessert, so I ended up enjoying them all the same.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/11/29/disney-food-trend-savory-beignets/