From the Disney Food blog...

Snack Series: Mickey Face Cake and Yet Another S’mores Cupcake

Nov 30th, 2011 by AJ.

Learn About:

Boardwalk Bakery2378-300x225.jpg

Boardwalk Restaurants

Disney World Restaurants

Disney’s Boardwalk Bakery is located seaside at the Boardwalk Inn, and while it’s small, there’s always a new and inviting treat beckoning to be bought and dissected for DFB readers!! icon_smile.gif

You’ll remember when we devoured the Cheesecake Brownie, of course; and the yummo Peanut Butter Cupcake was out of this world!

The Mickey Face Cake

On my recent trip, though, I decided to sample something old AND something new! First up, a snack that I’ve been wanting to try for years and years, but have never gotten around to: The Mickey Face Cake (Amazing that when my main focus at Disney is food I still miss out on some of these, isn’t it? Just goes to show how much there is to try!!)

mickey-cake-500x333.jpg

Mickey Face Cake

How can you not smile when you see that thing?? It’s a giant Mickey head for heaven’s sake — and it’s chocolate!!

The cake itself is made of vanilla confetti cake, which is covered with chocolate ganache. A Mickey Mouse face made from white chocolate is stuck on the top!

mickey-cake-ganache-500x333.jpg

Mickey Cake Ganache

I loved cutting into Mickey’s ear and finding the confetti cake — it made the treat that much more interesting and fun! How could a kid resist this?!

Maybe due to the ganache coating, the cake is extremely moist! And the ganache is rich and delicious. I probably would have thrown another coating of ganache on there, but I’m pretty extravagant when it comes to those things…like frosting…

mickey-cake-inside-500x333.jpg

Mickey Cake - Inside

The best part is that this is plenty big to share between two people…of course you’re going to fight over who gets to eat Mickey’s face, naturally.

S’mores Cupcake

You know we luuuuuuurve the s’mores cupcake we sampled at Wilderness Lodge’s Roaring Fork — and hated the s’mores cupcake from Grand Floridian’s Gasparilla Grill, so I wasn’t too sure about trying yet another s’mores cupcake from a resort bakery.

smores-cupcake-500x478.jpg

Smores Cupcake

But, as you can see, this one is actually pretty desirable looking, and it did indeed taste good! A chocolate cake base is filled with chocolate chunk frosting (there are actually chocolate chunks in there!), then topped with a vanilla-buttercream-marshmallow combo of frosting, and dusted with graham cracker crumbs. A few toasted marshmallows on top finish off the snack.

smores-cupcake-1-413x525.jpg

Smore Cupcake Close-Up

While the Wilderness Lodge s’mores cupcake still wins my top vote, this version was definitely in the running! If you’re more of a chocolate cake fan, this one might be the winner for you!

smores-cupcake-inside-368x525.jpg

Smores Cupcake - Inside

Overall

Boardwalk Bakery snacks are always new and fresh, so I guarantee there will be something fun going on over there when you next visit! It’s a dark horse in the Disney bakery competition due to its small size and remote location compared to in-park bakeries, but it’s always a place I stop on each trip just to see what new and interesting item they’ve come up with.

The best part is that usually Boardwalk Bakery will have a few items that you can’t find anywhere else in Walt Disney World, and I always love to find those unique and fun baked items to share with you!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/11/30/snack-series-mickey-face-cake-and-yet-another-smores-cupcake/