Excerpted from a post on AllEars. Follow the link for the entire article...

Disney makes a ton of money selling merchandise. The vast majority of these goods are what I would qualify as “souvenir quality.” These are tchotchkes, mementoes, toys, trinkets, and the like. These items are relatively inexpensive and not really meant to stand the test of time. These are perfect “vacation” purchases and this is what the vast majority of Disney guests want to buy. But there is a niche audience (like me) who want items that will stand the test of time – and possibly increase in value. Disney has accommodated this group of people with special shops. Although these shops have real names, I collectively call them “The Good Stores.” This is because these shops sell “good” or quality merchandise rather than traditional souvenirs.

In the Magic Kingdom, “The Good Store” can be found in the Main Street Cinema and Uptown Jewelers.

The%20Good%20Store%2009.jpg

The%20Good%20Store%2010.jpg

At Disney's Hollywood Studios, “The Good Store” can be found off of Animation Courtyard. Guests exit through this shop after experiencing “The Magic of Disney Animation” attraction. Here the shop is called “Animation Gallery.”

The%20Good%20Store%2030.jpg

In Epcot, “The Good Store” is actually called, “The Art of Disney” and is located to the west of Spaceship Earth.

The%20Good%20Store%2020.jpg

And finally, at Downtown Disney Marketplace, “The Good Store” is also called “The Art of Disney.”

The%20Good%20Store%2040.jpg

For a number of years, the Animal Kingdom also had a “Good Store” located in “Disney Outfitters” on Discovery Island. However, the collectible merchandise once found here is no longer offered.

So just what is available at the Good Stores? A ton of quality items. To begin with, paintings and lithographs. A number of Disney-approved artists create works of art which are then reproduced on canvas or quality paper. These can range in price from $35 for an 8”x10” litho to $5,000 for a limited edition oil painting.

The%20Good%20Store%2041.jpg

The%20Good%20Store%2042.jpg

At the Good Store at Downtown Disney, kiosks are available where you can select from a wide variety of topics. Disney characters and theme park attraction posters are just a few of the subjects offered. Once you find a picture you like on the display screen, you can then select the size and medium it will be printed on, paper or canvas. The larger the size, the higher the cost. Canvas is also more expensive than paper. After paying for your treasure, the artwork will be printed while you wait. Custom framing is also available. However, if you add this option, the print will be shipped to you at a later date as framing is contracted out to a local company.

The%20Good%20Store%2043.jpg

The%20Good%20Store%2044.jpg

A very popular collectible are the character sketches created by artists in the various stores. Here you can actually watch them start with a blank piece of paper and create your favorite Disney character. In some cases, pins, watches, and personal photos can be added to the drawing. In the case of the timepieces, the watch’s face matches the larger sketch.

The%20Good%20Store%2044a.jpg

The%20Good%20Store%2045.jpg

The%20Good%20Store%2046.jpg

The%20Good%20Store%2047.jpg

Just to make sure there is no misunderstanding, these artists are not the same animators who create the movies we all love. These talented individuals start with an approved “original” and reproduce and embellish the various characters.

For those of you on a tighter budget, posters are available. These come in a sturdy cardboard tube so you can hopefully get them back home in good condition.

The%20Good%20Store%2048.jpg

BigFigs (Big Figures or Figurines) have become quite popular over the years. At Disney World, the collection is pretty much limited to characters, but for a while at Disneyland, attractions like the Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain were offered. Below you can see a BigFig of Fantasyland. I really wonder why similar attraction BigFigs aren’t offered here in Florida.

The%20Good%20Store%2049.jpg

The%20Good%20Store%2049a.jpg

The%20Good%20Store%2050.jpg

The%20Good%20Store%2051.jpg

Smaller figurines are also offered at the Good Stores. Brands like Lenox, Precious Moments, Royal Dalton, and Lladro can be found. At one time, the Good Stores also offered a large selection of Walt Disney Classic Collection pieces, but for the last several months, these items have not been replaced as the stock dwindles.

The%20Good%20Store%2052.jpg

The%20Good%20Store%2053.jpg

The%20Good%20Store%2054.jpg

The%20Good%20Store%2054a.jpg

Time-specific and topic-specific goods can also be found in the Good Stores. For example, when Disney World was celebrating its 40th anniversary, many fine-quality collectibles related to this celebration were available in these shops. And currently, paintings, figurines, plaques, coins, and clothing highlighting Disney trains are being showcased.

The%20Good%20Store%2055.jpg

The merchandise is always changing in the Good Stores. Since much of what is offered is limited in quantity, if you see something you like, I suggest strongly buying it NOW rather than later. Chances are good it will not be here when you return next year. In addition, the four Good Stores do not carry the exact same pieces. In theory they do, but in reality, they don’t.

My trips to the Disney parks vary from visit to visit. But one thing is constant. I always visit the Good Stores on every trip. I want to make sure I don’t miss out on a treasure.

http://land.allears.net/blogs/jackspence/2012/01/the_good_stores.html