From the Disney Food Blog...

Guest Review: Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory Breakfast

Feb 9th, 2012 by AJ.

Join us in welcoming guest author Catie Hiltz with a review of the food court at Port Orleans Resort French Quarter in Disney World! Yep — this is where you can get those one-of-a-kind beignets!! But Catie’s got some other treats in mind…start your morning with one of these yummy eats!

My husband and I loved staying at Port Orleans French Quarter, and found Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory (the resort’s counter-service food court) to be a great place to grab a bite to eat before or after spending some time at the parks. They carry all the standards for breakfast, from the always delicious Mickey waffles, to omelets, platters, and pancakes.

Atmosphere

The resort itself is New Orleans themed, and has a relaxed, romantic feeling. The Food Factory fits right in with the theme — it’s large and open, and even during the breakfast rush, it’s loud but not deafening. It didn’t feel crowded at all.

Sassagoula-Exterior-500x375.jpg

Exterior Entrance

Sassagoula-Entrance-500x375.jpg

Interior Entrance

With its mismatched chairs and tables — and the oversize Mardi Gras float decor — the Food Factory really makes you feel like you’re hanging out in the Big Easy!

Sassagoula-Dining-Tables-500x375.jpg

Seating and Decor

Plus, since it was holiday season when we were there, the music was jazzy Christmas tunes, which just added to the experience!

Sassagoula-Dining-Room-393x525.jpg

The décor is big, and fun!

Eats

Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory is broken into several dining stations. There were three main areas from which to order hot food.

Sassagoula-Omelet-Menu-500x153.jpg

Omelet Station Menu - click image for larger version

Sassagoula-Pancake-Menu-499x271.jpg

The Carb Menu and French Toast - click image for larger version

Sassagoula-Menu-499x211.jpg

More Breakfast Choices!

They also have a self-serve bakery counter and areas where you can grab fruit salad and pieces of fruit as well as a beverage case with juice and other options.

Sassagoula-Bakery-Case-500x375.jpg

Self-Serve bagels, desserts, muffins and other goodies.

Sassagoula-Fruit-and-Chips-321x525.jpg

Fresh Fruit and Chips

Sassagoula-Cold-Items-500x449.jpg

Fruit salad/grapes/yogurts/parfaits and even beer and wine!

Sassagoula-Cold-Beverages-500x375.jpg

Assorted juices/sodas/milks etc.

After weighing all the options, we decided to try the bacon, egg, and cheese croissant; the Bounty Platter; and a cinnamon roll.

Sassagoula-Breakfast-500x375.jpg

Our yummy choices!

I chose the Bounty Platter, and honestly my only complaint is there was too much Bounty for me! I couldn’t finish all the delicious items on my plate and had to solicit some help from my husband!

We both really enjoyed all the items though; the sausage had enough spice and the casing was nice and crispy, and the bacon was perfect — not too crispy and not too soggy. The potatoes were a bit oily, but were crisp on the outside and soft and hot inside, which made up for it. The scrambled eggs were good, nothing special but definitely edible and tasty; and the Mickey waffle had a crunchy exterior and soft fluffy light interior.

I personally am a sucker for biscuits and this one did not disappoint — it had a buttery taste, was soft and warm, and overall was my favorite part of the platter for sure.

Sassagoula-Bounty-Platter-500x375.jpg

The Bounty Platter – you definitely get your money’s worth with this one!

My husband chose the cinnamon roll (which unfortunately was not included in the Disney Dining Plan, but the cashier let him use it as a snack credit so we didn’t have to pay out of pocket, which was nice!) and the bacon egg and cheese croissant.

He said the croissant was easily the best part; it was flaky and buttery and not too dry, but that the sandwich portion was decent as well. Crisp bacon, well-cooked eggs, and melty American cheese made this sandwich a winner (so much so that he was very reluctant to share it with me at all!).

Sassagoula-Croissant-500x375.jpg

The Croissant breakfast sandwich

The cinnamon roll was different from others at Disney. It was flaky and light (similar to a croissant), and had a strong cinnamon flavor. The icing was more of a royal icing and was hard and dry on the roll.

Overall we liked this, but definitely prefer the softer more gooey version found at the Main Street Bakery.

Sassagoula-Cinnamon-Roll-500x375.jpg

Cinnamon Roll

Cinnamon-Roll-Cross-Section-500x375.jpg

Cinnamon Roll Cross-Section

We used the Disney Dining Plan to pay for our breakfasts (1 counter service credit will get you an entrée and a drink at breakfast time). But if you plan to pay out of pocket, you can expect to pay $6-$9 for most breakfast entrees, and around $3 per beverage.

Not a bad deal considering the Bounty Platter, at $8.29, can easily feed 2 adults.

Overall

We really enjoyed our breakfast at Port Orleans French Quarter and would definitely eat there again on our next trip. In the past 15 years or so, the Resort food courts at Disney World have gotten so much better, and I am so glad to have a place where we can grab delicious food away from the hustle and bustle of the Theme Parks.

The food here is high quality, the Cast Members are polite and efficient, and it was overall a positive experience that will keep us coming back to the Resort, and the Food Factory.

What do you think of Port Orleans French Quarter and its Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory? Let us know below in the comments section!

Catie has been a Disney fanatic ever since her first ride on Space Mountain at age 4. She is the author of Living in a Grown Up World, and she is a huge fan of food, Minnie Mouse, and all things Disney!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/02/09/guest-review-sassagoula-floatworks-and-food-factory-breakfast/