From the Disney Food Blog...

Review: Captain’s Grille Lunch

Feb 12th, 2012 by AJ.

Welcome Aboard at the Captain’s Grille at Disney World’s Yacht Club Resort!

While this restaurant flies mostly under the radar for most folks, it does offer decent food and — even better — an easy-to-get table even if you don’t have reservations. Most of the time you’ll be able to walk right into Captain’s Grille and be seated, but it always pays to make reservations just in case.

I had a bit of a surprising meal here… read on to find out why!

Atmosphere

Captain’s Grille is one of those “lost” mid-priced Disney resort restaurants, which makes it a relatively quiet and calm place to grab a bite!

Themed similarly to the Yacht Club Resort, Captain’s Grille features model sailboats and subdued nautical decor coupled with light wood furniture.

Captains-Grille-Seating-2-500x375.jpg

Dining Room Seating

The theme is nothing to write home about, and the restaurant is open to the lobby as well as the surrounding walkways through the hotel. You may hear a bit of noise from park-goers heading out to start their day or possibly coming back in for a nap, but overall this spot will be more relaxed and quiet than many other resort restaurants.

Captains-Grille-Seating-1-500x375.jpg

Captain's Grille Seating

This is one of my favored spots to visit for meetings with colleagues or friends during conferences, or as a last-minute choice when I need a table-service meal and don’t have an ADR.

Eats

Captain’s Grille serves a delicious breakfast buffet and a small, but satisfying, lunch menu. On this visit I was meeting a friend for lunch during prime lunch hours. We had no problem getting a table!

I started out my meal with the soup of the day — a Corn Chowder (yay!!). This was deeeeeelicioso. It wasn’t a thick chowder — more milk-based — but I usually like these better anyway. The corn was plump and sweet, and the broth was buttery. Loved this.

captains-grill-soup-of-the-day-corn-chowder-500x333.jpg

Soup of the Day -- Corn Chowder

Next up for me was the grilled chicken sandwich with prosciutto, aged Vermont cheddar, and arugula salad on a house-made Onion Roll. I got french fries as my side, but you can also choose Vegetable Orzo Salad.

This sandwich was, surprisingly, excellent! I was expecting mediocre, but I got delicious. The chicken was well-marinated and cooked perfectly. The portion of cheddar was massive, but I certainly wasn’t complaining. And the fries were crisp on the outside and fluffy on the inside. I was truly impressed!

captains-grill-chicken-sandwich-363x525.jpg

Chicken Sandwich

My friend ordered the Signature Angus Chuck Burger, which ends up being quite fancy as it’s topped with Lump Crabmeat Salad and Choron Sauce. He very much enjoyed it! He was the healthy one and ended up ordering the Orzo Salad as his accompaniment.

captains-grill-signature-sandwich-500x254.jpg

Signature Sandwich

And the menu has several other tempting options to try — New England Style Lobster Sliders, a Knife and Fork Roast Beef Sandwich, Clam Linguini, and a Tomato and Mozzarella Sandwich sound like great entree options.

But it’s the Hand-cut Salt and Vinegar Fries with Roasted Shallot Mayonnaise that I need to go back for!!

Overall

While I was happy to be dining with a friend and chatting about mutually beloved subjects (Disney, Food, and Hawai’i!), I will say that I kept thinking about how good the food was! I had been a bit “down” on Captain’s Grille prior to this meal, thinking that it was more of a “convenience” restaurant and less of a “food” restaurant. But I take it all back!

I really enjoyed my meal, really enjoyed the quiet and relaxing feel to the restaurant even at peak lunch hours, and thought the service was fantastic.

By the way — later in the week I had a very good omelet here for breakfast, so the hits just keep on comin’. Hand-Cut Salt and Vinegar Fries, I’m comin’ for YOU!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/02/12/review-captains-grille-lunch/

We love the Captains Grill. Their soups are wonderful.

One thing I didn't see mentioned is that this is a great place to get a reasoably priced sit-down breakfast. If you don't want to enjoy the buffet, you can order ala carte off the menu and sometimes save a few dollars.

Despite eating there many times during our YC/BC days, I don't remember ever having to wait for a table and the staff couldn't be nicer. They even had a little treasure box for the kids to pick a small prize out of to help them manage the wait until food arrived. All three of my kids loved the added attention given to ensure their visit was pleasant - from the immediate seating to the treasure box, the wait staff, and even from the chef in altering entrees to add/delete things they requested. Two thumbs up in our book. :thumbsup2: