Yesterday, DH and I took the kids down to Camping World to get a new broom and came back with a new GPS. The Rand McNally Tripmaker RVND.

At this point, I should confess we have a TomTom that we bought about a year ago. We have always had TomToms and loved them. However, we have discovered a major flaw in their software. It doesn't realize that a F150 pulling a 28ft TT can't do a U-Turn and it likes to ARGUE with us about it for about 30 minutes after passing the U-Turn we couldn't make. It doesn't exactly make it easy to reroute yourself either.... but it is great for around town sans TT.

Many moons ago, I had the computer based TripMaker software from Rand McNally and loved it. It satisfied my OCD way of planning trips. So yesterday (after about a month of poor planning by Tomtom), we took the plunge. I'm still playing with it but so far I'm liking it. We are going to evaluate it for the 30 days.

Now I'd love to hear from anyone who has a Rand McNally RV GPS.... what do you think?

ooooo-ahhh... I oogled that like a fat kid oogles cake before Christmas but the elec jack won out in the end. Looked like a really nice unit. Will be waiting to hear how you like it next month...

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update on this GPS.

Things I like so far:

the screen is much larger and easier to see

you input your RV specifics (type, lenghth)

you can also easily change it to car if you need to

you can easily specify no dirt roads, Uturns, Tollways, or Freeways

multiple stop trip planning

Has a special POIs- dump stations, campsites, Rv Service Centers, etc.

you simply type in a city and it gives you all the cities with name instead of having to put in a state then a city

It has a special (easy to find) category for campsites and has a rating system in place. You can tell it if the speed limit in the system is different than the posted speed limit.

so far it has made just about everything easier to find.

Negatives -

The display is different from our old one and it is taking some time to get accostumed to it. The old one doesn't change but the new one does.. it's hard to explain but Shawn seems to be adjusting.

You have to buy a separate attachement for the live traffic updates.

You have to buy the case separate.. all the accessories actually.

More to come later....

• 5 months later...

Good to hear! I've wondered about those things.

just the fact that it won't take you down that road, with THAT turn... our old gps drove DH crazy trying to get him to do a U-Turn with the trailer. Yeah... not happening.

We got ours at camping world. At the time it came with a 30 day money back guarantee....