New York City Dining

I am taking my wife out for dinner in NYC for her birthday. Her parents and myabe some of family will be coming along. It will be my first visit and her second including a HS senior trip. We'll be staying near Times Square.

Any ideas for an affordable, not-too-fancy, unique NYC dining experience?

Depends upon your idea of affordable. There aren't a lot of places in that area of the city that I'd consider unique AND affordable.

Jekyll & Hyde Club is our favorite for unique. It isn't too pricey by NYC standards but it isn't inexpensive either. You're not likely to eat too many meals like it though. They've got the market cornered on unique.

IMO it's a must-do at least once & perfect for disney fans. They even have a "magical" elevator to enter that reminds me of DQ's but much better themed...

Check out the website here --- http://jekyllpub.com/

Wow, you hit a bullseye with that one. She is definitely a haunted mansion type so she will love the themeing. I know affordable means something different in NYC, but I just wanted to head off any suggestions like L’Atelier de Joël Robuchon. Although menus that dont include prices make me nervous, Jeckyll and Hyde looks like a great choice!

Jekyll & hyde has sandwiches too. I'd think you could do a sandwich & soda for under $20 per person. The pasta is very good. So is the steak sub.

They have kids' meals. The bill for Starla, DD11, and I is usually in the $50 - $90 range.

The only thing I'd caution you on is to be sure and ask how much the daily specials are before ordering if one interests you. I took kids from Starla's drama group once years ago while in the city for a workshop with the cast of Wicked. The boys ordered steaks b/c they were on the daily special so they figured they'd be cheaper. I'm sitting here laughing even now remembering the look on their faces when the bill came and those "specials" were over $40 each. Thank Heavens they had an adult along to bail them out or there'd have been a whole lotta dishwashing going on... :rofl2:

• 1 month later...

theres a new message on their facebook page, if you're planning on going to jekyll and Hyde double check location and hours it said the following

A MESSAGE FROM

THE MEMBERS OF THE JEKYLL AND HYDE CLUB

The Jekyll and Hyde Club located at 1409 Avenue of the Americas has been forced to close indefinitely due to devastating damage caused by Mr. Hyde and a number of other creatures that inhabit the Club. The cause of this catastrophe is still unknown but a committee has been formed to investigate. All we can say at this time is that it appears an experiment went terribly wrong resulting in a malignant shift in the balance between good and evil in the Club. The damage from this rampage is so severe that the repairs will take many months. Fortunately some of the most valuable collections and oddities have been saved and have been moved to a secure and secret location.

We are happy to report that The Jekyll and Hyde Club in Greenwich Village located at 91 7th Avenue South is open and is now the one and only Jekyll and Hyde Club in the world. We hope you will visit soon to see this one of a kind and special place. We are pleased to report that our Executive Chef has prepared a wonderful new menu for our guests.

As always anything can happen at Jekyll and Hyde….

Whenever we are in NYC, we eat at Ben's Deli on 38th Steet. Great food and not bad on the the wallet for NYC. Not sure what kind of food you are looking for, but you can't get more New York than a deli. http://bensdeli.net/ Also good size for a large party. Have fun, we'll be there on May 19th to see Sister Act.

Best Regards,

Norm