From Beers and Ears...

Sapporo

February 27th, 2012 by Scott In Walt Disney World Beer Reviews

IMG_0044-300x400.jpg

I went out for my wife’s birthday at a nearby sushi restaurant and ordered a Sapporo to go with our sushi.

Sapporo is named for the Japanese city it calls home. The city Sapporo is the fourth-largest city in Japan and was host of the 1972 Winter Olympics. The brewery was founded in 1876 and also produces Yebisu and Sleeman Cream Ale.

In 2006 Sapporo brewed a batch of beer using barley that was grown on the International Space Station as part of an experiment to show that food could be grown in space. There was no discernable difference in the taste, and Sapporo sold six packs of “Space Beer” in Japan.

Although the Sapporo Brewery owns multiple locations in Japan, most Sapporo found in the United States is brewed in Canada. This is more common than it seems as Diageo (parent company of Guinness) brews Harp and Guinness Extra Stout in Canada for the North American market.

As for the beer itself, it’s a straw colored lager with a decent head and lots of carbonation. Not much of a nose to speak of, a little grainy perhaps. The taste is a bit better than your average lager but mild; perhaps a bit of lemon in there with a light bitter finish.

Sapporo is a good alternative to the ubiquitous American lagers and goes decently with sushi, but that’s as far as I’ll go with the praise. I’d still prefer something with more flavor.

http://beersandears.net/2012/02/sapporo/