From the Disney Parks blog...

Celebrating St. Patrick’s Day in Style at Disney Parks

posted on March 9th, 2012 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

sps483945SMALL.jpg

I’m looking forward to celebrating St. Patrick’s Day. It’s not only the birthday of a good friend, but March 17 also falls on a Saturday this year – two perfect reasons to celebrate all day long. To get in the celebratory mood, I looked around Disney Theme Park Merchandise for some new St. Patrick’s Day items. One of the most noticeable items I saw was an ear hat designed by Disney Design Group Artist Tim Whalen. I asked Tim about the design for the hat.

“I used last year’s ear hat as a starting point for the design,” explained Tim. “The 2011 hat was popular with guests, so we made a few tweaks, including updating the font used on the hat. We also added an image of Mickey Mouse wearing a mini-bowler hat similar to the mini hat attached to the ear hat.”

sps543981SMALL.jpg

The Disney Pin Team released a few new pins and a decorative deluxe lanyard with sublimated printing. I think my favorite pins are the simplistic Mickey Mouse icon (simple designs are sometimes the best) and the Chip and Dale pin (I need all the luck I can get!).

We also re-introduced the 12-inch Duffy the Disney Bear who is dressed for the holiday. This will be the final year that this version of Duffy will be released. The Duffy team is considering a costume for the 17-inch bear next year.

sps639120SMALL.jpg

Speaking of attire, new this year is a women’s graphic tee-shirt that features a Mickey Mouse icon comprised of approximately 800 tiny shamrocks and one giant shamrock. Disney Design Group artist Dave Keefer created the mosaic-like design, and he told me that tiny rhinestones were originally planned for several shamrocks. The final design, however, didn’t include them, but it has a treatment that makes the design shimmer in certain lights.

sps743983SMALL.jpg

There is one item that won’t arrive until July, but it’s so cool that I couldn’t resist sharing. Last July, I discussed a new series of ear hat ornaments. I’m happy to report that another wave of those hats will include an assortment of holiday-themed hats. I was most impressed with the level of detail found on the sculpted ear hat pictured above.

I hope you have a festive and happy St. Patrick’s Day!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/03/celebrating-st-patrick%E2%80%99s-day-in-style-at-disney-parks/