From the Disney Food blog. This sounds like something I need to try out for myself!

Risotto Around the World

Mar 13th, 2012 by AJ.

Ah…time to talk about one of my very favorite side dishes EVER!!! Risotto is often overlooked, but the creamy savory goodness that is risotto could easily take center stage in a dish (and does in some of these highlighted below)! Disney chefs have mastered the art of making this slow-cooked yumminess — rice patiently mixed with flavorful broth — and whether it’s mixed with meat, fish, or vegetables, risotto doubles as as a sophisticated recipe and mouth-watering, comfort food.

I was looking through our Disney Food Blog Flickr group and saw so many gorgeous photos of risotto that I simply had to do a post about this dark horse side dish. (Of course, I’ve added a few of my own photos as well…;-D.)

Let’s take a tour around the world…

Butternut Squash Risotto from Artist Point

This butternut squash risotto topped with pork belly is easily in my “top 5″ risottos in Disney World. Offered at Artist Point in the Wilderness Lodge, the hint of sweet from the squash and tartness courtesy of the cranberry drizzle create amazing (and memorable!) flavors. Sigh. I miss it.

butternut-squash-risotto-3-500x333.jpg

butternut squash risotto

Dungeness Crab Risotto with Blood Orange Sauce and Pea Shoots; from Artist Point

This ample portion of risotto is mixed handsomely with crab creating a decadent appetizer. (Looks amazing!!!) Dishes at Artist Point tend to change seasonally, yet Dungeness crab seems to be used in many dishes — like these crab cakes we highlighted earlier this week!

(Photographer: Roger Weeks)

Dungeness-Crab-Risotto-with-Blood-Orange-Sauce-and-Pea-Shoots-500x332.jpg

Dungeness Crab Risotto

Mushroom “Risotto” (in reality this is white corn, but I love that they made a “risotto” out of it), served along side Seared Bison with, Turnips, Chestnuts, and Pinot Noir Juniper Emulsion; from California Grill

This striking presentation from the California Grill has a slight woodsy flavor. Points for creativity, Chef Piasecki!

Photographer: Morgan & Jeff Rooks / CharacterHunters

California-Grill-Mushroom-Risotto.jpg

California Grill - Mushroom Risotto

Arancini-Crispy Risotto, from Citricos

These deep fried rice balls are a staple on the menu at Citricos. Although the recipe tends to change a bit, this app is a popular choice! We never miss it!

Arancini-500x520.jpg

Citricos Arancini

Lemon and Pea Risotto served alongside Pan-seared Wreck Fish with Bay Scallops and Citrus Oil, from Coral Reef

Coral Reef in Epcot’s Future World tends to get mixed reviews from guests. While the aquarium atmosphere is special, the cuisine is sometimes disappointing. We’ve heard several kudos to this Lemon and Pea risotto, however! Photographer: Roger Weeks

Pan-Seared-Wreck-Fish-on-Lemon-and-Pea-Risotto-500x321.jpg

Pan Seared Wreck Fish on Lemon and Pea Risotto

Mascarpone-laced Risotto di Carnaroli served alongside Oak-grilled Maine Diver Scallops with Artichoke, Fresh and Sun-dried Tomato, Basil, Pecorino Romano, and Proscuitto di Parma Cracklins, from Flying Fish Cafe

Chef Tim Keating is at it again! “Mascarpone-laced”?!??! AWESOME!! And I’d love to try the cracklins… . Photographer: Tana Murphy

Flying-Fish-Risotto.jpg

Flying Fish - Risotto

Black Eye Pea Risotto, from Jiko

The risotto makes this entree a stand-out. We hope it returns to the menu at some point, but we’re glad to have the memory!

Berbere-pork-tenderloin-with-black-eye-pea-risotto1-500x333.jpg

Berbere pork tenderloin with black eye pea risotto

Mushroom Risotto, from Le Cellier Steakhouse

Made with truffle butter sauce, the mushroom risotto at Le Cellier is amazing! Mushroom risotto is currently being served with the Filet Mignon entree at this Epcot restaurant. (I always get a dish on the side…can’t help it!)

mushroom-risotto-side-500x333.jpg

Side of Mushroom Risotto Even Though Mushroom Risotto Isn't Actually a Side

Mozzarella Stuffed Rice Balls, from Portobello

I’m actually dining at Portobello TODAY, so I’m excited to share this with you again. I thought they were so innovative when I first tried them!

risotto-close-up.jpg

YUM

Risotto with Chicken, from Raglan Road

Spice up this risotto dish by adding shrimp or chicken! Raglan Road’s Risotto is constructed with shiitake mushrooms, garden peas, shaved parmesan, and rocket lettuce. Photographer: abloodphoenix

Raglan-Road-Risotto.jpg

Raglan Road - Risotto

Risotto Di Gamberi: creamy arborio rice, shrimp, herbs, butter, parmesan cheese, from Tutto Italia

Made with Arborio rice, this creamy risotto features shrimp! This dish consistently garnishes rave reviews for the exquisite flavor and gorgeous presentation. I wonder if it will remain on the menu after the current refurbishment… . Photographer: Roger Weeks

Risotto-Di-Gamberi-Creamy-Arborio-Rice-Shrimp-Herbs-Butter-Parmesan-Cheese-500x266.jpg

Risotto Di Gamberi

Arancini with marinara sauce, from Via Napoli

While pizza is the showcase of this Epcot restaurant, the fried arancini are an excellent appetizer! Must eat!

Via-Napoli-arancini-500x333.jpg

Arancini

Mushroom Risotto, from Yachtsman Steakhouse

Another one of my top 5 risottos in Disney World! If this risotto is on the menu, order it. And if you see it return to the menu, please let us know. icon_wink.gif I’m pretty sure it was a fluke (as in they ran out of something else and had to compromise) when I got it in 2009… . Sigh.

ExEv-yachtsman-akpicnic-069.JPG

Yachtsman Steakhouse Mushroom Risotto

Risotto del Giorno, from La Luce by Donna Scala

The risotto at La Luce is exquisite. No matter the day, they’ll FEATURE an amazing risotto of the day. We love it every time we go to this fine restaurant at Hilton Bonnet Creek Resort.

risotto-500x333.jpg

Risotto del Giorno

Breakfast Risotto, from Oscar’s

At the Waldorf Astoria Orlando, Oscar’s serves a painstakingly-prepared breakfast risotto every morning. I urge you to drag yourself out of your heavenly bed to dig into this!

risotto198-500x333.jpg

Oscar's Breakfast Risotto

Whew!! Feeling full? icon_wink.gif

Risotto is a popular appetizer, side dish, and main entree at WDW restaurants. Whether it’s served as a decadent dish or a comforting side, we’re always on the look-out for new risotto offerings (share your favorites, please!).

Have you had a delicious risotto while at a Disney restaurant? Tell us all about it!

As always, a huge thanks to all of you who submit your gorgeous photos to the Disney Food Blog Flickr group! All photos are copyrighted to their photographers an may NOT be used without written permission.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/03/13/risotto-around-the-world/