Tips for Touring Disney World in an ECV or Wheelchair

From the Touring Plans Blog...

You probably don’t realize the special needs of some your fellow travelers until you, or someone in your group, has such needs. During my family trip my mom needed to use an ECV due to wicked arthritis in her knees. If you are lucky to be a guest who has never had to use one of these or a wheelchair, please have patience and be courteous to folks enjoying their vacation from a seat. Disney World is a wonderful destination choice for people who are restricted to a wheelchair or ECV; Disney does all they can to make their stay comfortable and magical. If you or someone in your family will have to use and ECV or wheelchair on an upcoming trip I wanted to take this week offer some tips to make things easier during your vacation.

Let’s start with some ideas on things you could do before you even leave your house. When you make your room reservation request a handicapped accessible room. You may not be guaranteed one of these rooms, but Disney will do their best to accommodate their guests’ requests. We were able to get one of these rooms at the Polynesian and it worked out really well for us. There were several modifications made to our room to make life a little easier for folks who need assistance. The door to our room would automatically stay open once we used our key to allow time for an ECV to get through. It also had a button to push to automatically open it from the inside. My nieces and nephew thought that button was all sorts of fun. In addition, one of the beds was lower than the other to allow someone to get in and out more comfortably from a wheelchair. However, I understand that some handicapped rooms are simply equipped with a king sized bed. The best feature for my mom was the wheel in shower. She obviously didn’t take the ECV into the shower with her, but she didn’t’ have to step up and over a tub to get in and out. Steps are difficult with her condition so this was the biggest bonus for her...

For the complete article...

http://blog.touringp...-or-wheelchair/