1 Question & 1 Request

Hey everyone, I have 1 question about the Fort and a picture request. First question is we will be going on our first trip, November 6th-11th, and wanted to know what the decorations were like at the campground. Are people decorating their sites for Christmas, Thanksgiving, or both?

Second request is, since we are tenters, we have a lot of stuff and usually I have a hitch basket to carry our stuff, but we will have a little more and going a longer distance, and to make things more comfortable for the ride, I was planning of getting a smaller trailer e.g. 4x6 and making a luggage trailer, and modifying it to suit our needs. I was wondering if others have a similiar trailer and wanted to see your trailers. So if you have some pictures, post them please.

Best Regards,

Norm

I don't own an enclosed utility trailer, but when I was a kid our family used to tent camp...a lot!  My dad modified a small trailer for him to stow all the camping equipment in and built a rather nice (as I recall) kitchen box to keep everything kitchen related in one convenient location.  There were two doors on it that opened up & down rather than side to side, with the bottom door making a work shelf. This was back in the 60's when you just didn't find stuff like that ready-made.  Quite a few people copied his idea, because it did make things a lot easier than digging through boxes trying to find what you needed to make a meal. It was simply outfitted with basic pots & pans, dinner ware, silver ware (paper & plastics were expensive & not as readily available as today), basic spices, cereal, etc....  At night it was locked up so critters couldn't invade it.

The tents, cots, sleeping bags, dining tarp (also custom made by my dad), lanterns (no electric at sites) stove, kitchen box, water jugs (had to haul water to the camp site back then), coolers, and everything else camping related stayed in the trailer, always ready for the next trip.  If you like to tent camp with a little luxury to boot, this is the way to go.  Then all you need to do is throw in your clothing & personal items, food, BEER, and you're ready to go!

As far as decorations at the Fort, at the time you are making your trip you are going to see almost anything from Halloween to Christmas decorations.  Anything goes!!

If you are buying a trailer that small, make sure you read the fine print. Some of them have very small wheels and will say something like 'Maximum Safe Towing Speed is 50 MPH". The smaller the wheels, the more heat the wheel bearings generate.

As far as the decorations, after Halloween ends, the Christmas decorations start going up with some Thanksgiving mixed in.

If you are buying a trailer that small, make sure you read the fine print. Some of them have very small wheels and will say something like 'Maximum Safe Towing Speed is 50 MPH". The smaller the wheels, the more heat the wheel bearings generate.

Yea, I have a 5x8 now that I've had for years for my dirt bikes and when I went down to Daytona for bike week. I'm definitely getting something with at least 12" wheels and good ply tires. I know a lot of the Harbor Freight deals are like that. I do keep my bearings well lubed and I'm a stickler for maintenance.

Best Regards,

Norm