Two NEW Carrot Cake Cupcakes

Just more proof there is a God and he wants us to be happy - this from the Disney Food Blog... 8)

Snack Series Throw Down: Two NEW Carrot Cake Cupcakes

Sep 25th, 2012 by AJ.

Welp, you know I love cupcakes, and carrot cake is one of my favorite desserts of all time. So when Disney smooshes them together, I’m a happy camper!

So on a recent trip to Disney World I was excited to see some additional Carrot Cake Cupcakes in the mix!

Starring Rolls Cafe Carrot Cake Cupcake

First up, let’s check out Cupcake Central — Starring Rolls Cafe — where all great Disney World Cupcakes get their start (or so it seems).

This was a new cupcake in the case on my last trip, and I Could. Not. Wait. to try it out.

Carrot-Cake-Cupcake-Orange-side-542x625.jpg

Carrot Cake Cupcake Orange side

I will admit I was a little skeptical when I saw the double-colored frosting and Mickey sprinkles on top. That didn’t seem all that “Starring Rollsian” to me…

With all of that color and fanfare, I started to worry that this might be a bit like the Pink, White, and Blue cupcakes — a lot of hype with not a whole lotta flavor. Note the lack of frosting covering the WHOLE cupcake up at the top…

I dug in anyway — eager to see what was up!

carrot-cake-cupcake-white-side-532x625.jpg

Carrot Cake Cupcake White Side

At first bite, I was sure to get some of the cake as well as some of that multi-colored frosting and a few of the nuts on top. I wanted the full flavor experience!

And…as I feared…this cupcake falls slightly flat. The frosting didn’t have a strong cream cheese taste to it, and the cake wasn’t as moist and flavorful as I would have liked. (See the Roaring Fork Carrot Cake Cupcake to see what it’s really supposed to be like.)

Carrot-Cake-Cupcake-cross-section-600x400.jpg

Carrot Cake Cupcake Cross-Section

Overall, while this wasn’t a bad dessert option, I would skip this guy in favor of the other Starring Rolls cupcake choices. They’re going to have a bigger bang for your buck in my opinion.

Sunshine Seasons Carrot Cake Cupcake

Now, over at Sunshine Seasons in Epcot, they were serving another new-to-me Carrot Cake Cupcake! I headed over there soon after to sample this version…

carrot-cake-cupcake-578x625.jpg

Carrot Cake Cupcake

Looks pretty standard, eh? Low level of frosting…weird orange and green carrot piped on top so you know what it is…random chopped nut coating. Hmm… would this be another disappointment?

carrot-cake-cupcake-cross-section-465x625.jpg

Carrot Cake Cupcake Cross-Section

NO WAY, MAN! Believe it or not, this unassuming Carrot Cake Cupcake was delicious! The frosting wasn’t grainy and sugary, but creamy instead — with a definite cream cheese flavor and thick texture.

The cake itself was moist, chunky, and not at all “bread-y.” It could have served as a dessert in and of itself.

Yep — I was pleased with this one. Delightedly so.

Overall

So the moral of the story is — don’t judge a book by it’s cover! A lot of hype doesn’t always mean a lot of flavor; and even when something looks standard and plain, it can be extraordinary.

What are your favorite carrot cake finds in Disney World and Disneyland? Let us know in the comments below!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/09/25/snack-series-throw-down-two-new-carrot-cake-cupcakes/