Grand Canyon tent camping

We are starting to plan a 2 week trip to the Grand Canyon as our oldest is set to graduate from college (and hopefully gets a job!). Has anyone done a camping trip to the Canyon? ...in May?

We're thinking about 3 nights at the Mather campground. Is that going to be enough time?

Then we're hoping to hit a couple of other parks north of there, as we head back toward Colorado, then driving east on I-70 back home.

I hope somebody out there has done something like this to help me feel confident in planning. :)

My friend Joyce and I took her parents to the Grand Canyon several years ago toward the end of May. It was lovely weather and we only needed a light jacket. It was a two day drive each way from Fort Worth and we stopped at several places on the way... Glenn Canyon dam, Sunset Crater, Wupatki National Monument, so it's probably four plus reasonably long days from PA. We drove through the Mather camp ground and it was nice enough. Here is a review I found.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g143028-d146584-Reviews-Mather_Campground-Grand_Canyon_National_Park_Arizona.html

I think three days is OK and it will give you time to see some of the area. Keep in mind that if you want to go in the Glen Canyon visitors center, no purses, backpacks, cameras, etc. Can't even use the restrooms if you don't want to leave your valuables in the car.

Have fun!

Thanks for the replies.

Funny, I had started reading that trip report back in September (I think), before we had any idea that we would be doing this trip. And I had forgotten about it, so thanks for refreshing my memory! Now I'm just waiting for him to finish it.

Well, we made reservations for Mather's campground for 4 nights, then 2 nights in Zion. Our kids then voted to go to Las Vegas so they can see the Penn & Teller show, so those reservations will be next. We'll head back toward home via Colorado.

We know we'll have long days of driving, but we're used to that. When we go to WDW, we always drive from Pgh in 2 days, and come home in 1.

Now I'll have to start researching what food to take....

• 3 weeks later...