Hillsborough River State Park

• 2 weeks later...

We are camping there next week.  I grew up in Z-hills but never have camped there. I don't even remember the last time I was at the park.

DH and DD did a group tent camping with church a few years ago and DD loved it.  Hopefully I chose a site large enough for the TT :dance: 

Great pictures!  Can't wait to try it out.

We are camping there next week.  I grew up in Z-hills but never have camped there. I don't even remember the last time I was at the park.

DH and DD did a group tent camping with church a few years ago and DD loved it.  Hopefully I chose a site large enough for the TT :banana: 

Great pictures!  Can't wait to try it out.

You grew up in z-hills!!!! Ha... I have lived there all my life. 

I can't get my DW to camp at there she says its not Disney and way to close to home...

She'll probably change her mind if fuel goes to $5.00 per gal.  I've been going to Hillsborough River SP for at least 40 years and have enjoyed it. If you haven't done it before, rent a canoe and go down the river. Gets real crowded in the summer. Campground isn't anything to write home about, but if you spend some time there, you can mark good sites on a map. Last time I camped there (several years ago), we got flooded in our site. Had about 6 inches of water around the TT. Also, while sitting at the table outside eating lunch (Low Country Boil) a very large tree fell about 20 ft. from our site. Scared the puddin out of us. :banana:  The rest of the trip was fine.

Guest starbuc71

Looks great Tom, my kind of CG. Thanks for sharing.    :D

We really enjoyed it.  It was our first visit there, so we now have a list of sites for future stays.  Our site during that stay was a little tight, but still nice.

Tom,

Was there things for the kids to do there?  As I said with Ft. Desoto, the kids get bored quick.  We have often thought of trying this park but with thought w/ our 27ft it would probably be tight

Tom,

Was there things for the kids to do there?  As I said with Ft. Desoto, the kids get bored quick.  We have often thought of trying this park but with thought w/ our 27ft it would probably be tight

Well, I would say if you go when the pool is open then you would be able to keep the little ones busy.  They have a 1/2 acre pool that is 3ft deep in the deepest areas (I think).  The kids loved it.  They also enjoyed hiking.  We did not rent a canoe so I can't speak to that.

I don't know if there is enough activities to keep the kids active for more than a couple of nights though. 

When I was there last, I took my granddaughters on nature hikes and also let them play in the playground.  Just in from the parking area just before the camp store there is a pretty good sized playground with swings and stuff. They had a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

We used to take the kids from church to Hillsborough SP back in the 70's & 80's!!  The last time we camped there was in 1998 - in the MH & NOT in tents! LOL!! From your pics it looks pretty much the same.

If you're into State Parks you MUST go to Sarasota to Myakka State Park.  It's way cooler than Hillsborough.  Oscar Scherer is really nice, too.  That's in between Sarasota & Venice.  Don't bother with Lake Manatee.  The fishing is superior, but the camping stinks.  Fish Eating Creek - in Palmdale - that's in southern Polk County - is a really neat campground, too.

Looks nice.  It would be even more helpful if you mentioned where Hillsborough River SP was, although you're not the only one that's left that information out of one of these posts.  :rofl2:

Park Information

15402 U.S. 301 North

Thonotosassa, Florida 33592

(813) 987-6771

Yes, that is a good piece of information I failed to include.