Rocky Road Pretzel Bark

Rocky Road Pretzel Bark

editedRocky+Road+Pretzel+Bark+049.jpg

Sweet and salty flavor combinations are a hot favorite at our house.  This recipe was a result of an over abundance of pretzel crisps that I had on hand, thanks to my friends at The Snack Factory, and my love of rocky road in any form!  I developed three appetizer recipes using pretzel crisps.  All 3 recipes were chosen by the Snack Factory to be featured in their limited addition "Got An App For That" cookbook.  As a thank you, 18 cases of pretzel crisps in every flavor, arrived at my front door. I've had lots of fun using them in different dishes throughout the year.  One thing I love about this pretzel bark, is, it can be made up to a week in advance and kept tightly covered at room temperature.  It makes for easy munching during the Holidays or any time of year.

The+Snack+Factory+002.JPG

You'll need:
1 7.5 oz. bag of flat plain pretzel crisps [I used The Snack Factory]
2 [12 oz] bags semi-sweet/milk/dark chocolate chips [I used Ghirardelli semi-sweet]
1 1/3 cups miniature marshmallows
1 cup slivered almonds, toasted and divided
3 1/2 Tbsp solid vegetable shortening

Ahead of time, preheat the oven to 350°F and toast the slivered almonds for 6-8 minutes, until lightly golden.  This gives the nuts a spectacular flavor.  Cool completely.

Rocky+Road+Pretzel+Bark+002.JPG

Use a heat proof bowl over a pot of simmering water, or  a double boiler, to melt together the chocolate chips and vegetable shortening.  This will take several minutes stirring periodically until the chocolate is completely smooth.  I used semi sweet chocolate for this pretzel bark, but, you can use milk or dark chocolate, too, go with your preference.

Rocky+Road+Pretzel+Bark+015.JPG

While the chocolate is melting, line a baking sheet with wax paper, and spread the pretzel crisps evenly on the paper. It's okay if they overlap a little.

Rocky+Road+Pretzel+Bark+006.JPG

Sprinkle the marshmallows and 3/4 cup of toasted almonds over the pretzel crisps.  Chop the remaining almonds to sprinkle on top.

Rocky+Road+Pretzel+Bark+012.JPG

Pour the chocolate on top and using an offset  spatula or the back of a spoon spread it covering  everything evenly.

Rocky+Road+Pretzel+Bark+018.JPG

Sprinkle with chopped almonds and place the pan into the refrigerator to allow the chocolate to set up.  [About 1 1/2-2 hours]

Rocky+Road+Pretzel+Bark+023.JPG

Cut or break into pieces.  Yield: 2 1/2-3 lbs.