From the Disney Food Blog...

Guest Review: Contempo Cafe Dinner and Dessert

Mar 23rd, 2012 by AJ.

Join me in welcoming Kayla Lopez with a review of the Contempo Cafe at Disney World’s Contemporary Resort.

Hello everyone! My name is Kayla and I am absolutely ecstatic and honored to be writing a Guest Review on the amazing Disney Food Blog!

Today, I’m taking you guys to the Contempo Café. Why the Contempo Café you ask? Well, I was running some errands and was taking the resort monorail when I decided it was getting late and I hadn’t really eaten all day. So I decided to hop off at the Contemporary Resort to try out this little place to see what all the fuss was about. (About the cupcakes of course.)

Atmosphere

Contempo Café is located right next to the beloved Chef Mickey’s. It is a bit loud in there, so if you’re looking for a quiet place to eat in the Contemporary, you won’t find it here. But I found it rather enjoyable to hear the song they play inside Chef Mickey’s.

Contemporary-Restaurants-500x299.jpg

Contemporary Restaurants

This quick-service dining area is much smaller than the “food courts” I’m used to at the Value resorts, which is usually where I would stay when I was still a Guest and not a Cast Member. However, that doesn’t mean they don’t have a great selection of food!!

One thing I love about Contempo Café is the self-order express kiosk. It’s quick, easy to use, and I also feel it ensures that your food is fresh to order. Not to mention it cuts down on waiting in line to order your food. I know at some of my favorite Quick-Service locations, that can be rather frustrating.

Contemporary1-207.JPG

Contempo Cafe Ordering Computer Stations

Contempo Café is very open and you get to really take in the atmosphere of the beautiful Contemporary resort as you sit and enjoy your meal. I personally liked my great view of the Mary Blair mosaic and feeling the monorail whiz by above me. No, literally, the ground shook as it went by.

Seating-500x299.jpg

Seating

One thing I was curious about, since it was my first time visiting this place, was how crazy busy it gets in the morning. There didn’t seem to be a huge plethora of tables and chairs for guests. So I can only imagine a lot of guests either buy their food and eat in their room or just decide to eat breakfast in the parks. The things that my mind ponders.

Eats

They have a great selection of sandwiches, salads, and of course burgers at Contempo Cafe. There’s even a different side here of a green bean salad.

Contempo-Cafe-Menu-279x525.jpg

Contempo Cafe Menu -click image for larger version

Menu1-316x525.jpg

Menu - click image for larger version

I ordered the Grilled Chicken sandwich with pepper-jack cheese, multi grain bun, and salsa ranch sauce, with the side of green bean salad. I know I know, sounds very healthy but wait…

I also ordered the new White Chocolate Raspberry cupcake. It was a temporary cupcake (as most Contempo Cafe cupcakes are) for Valentine’s Day. As a HUGE chocolate and raspberry lover, there was no question that I was going to spoil my meal with this delicious treat. Just look at it.

Cupcake-314x525.jpg

Cupcake

So first, the sandwich: it was pretty delicious. The bun was really soft and warm. Maybe it would have been better a bit toasted though, if it wasn’t already, because this was quite a messy sandwich. (Although as a chicken wing connoisseur, I’m used to being a messy eater.)

The grilled chicken was pretty juicy for being a chicken breast, which was surprising; though it is described as being herb-marinated so it makes sense. My toppings were some shredded lettuce, tomatoes, and pickles. Say what you like, but I cannot have a sandwich or burger without pickles; they’re just delicious.

Sandwich-and-Green-Bean-Salad-500x299.jpg

Sandwich and Green Bean Salad

The salsa ranch sauce was pretty good. I didn’t exactly taste the “salsa” aspect of it though. The only salsa-ish thing I found were huge chunks of tomato that kept falling out of the sandwich.

The star of the sandwich, at least in my opinion, was the pepper-jack cheese. Let me start off with the fact that I LOVE pepper-jack cheese. Any way to add a kick into my meal, I am a happy Kayla. The flavor is spicy and creamy and adds that special thing to the sandwich to bring it all together. I know we’ve all had some pretty bland grilled chicken sandwiches. This is not one of them.

I had the green bean salad as a side, and wish I could say more about this dish. They tried adding flavor with sesame seeds and some kind of oil or vinegar, but didn’t I taste anything. All I wanted to do was put salt on them and heat them up in the microwave as they were rather cold.

Now, on to the dessert. This cupcake, as you can see, is GORGEOUS! At least I think so. The pretty pink frosting, the chocolate decoration, and the raspberry on top really intrigued me. Not to mention, a chocolate cake. Yum.

Cupcake-at-Contempo-Cafe-314x525.jpg

Cupcake at Contempo Cafe

Now AJ will be disappointed to see that there isn’t much frosting on the cupcake at first glance. But, if you look at the cross-section picture, you’ll see a surprise.

Cupcake-Interior-314x525.jpg

Cupcake Interior

This is a cupcake with a lava of syrup AND even more pink frosting inside. Now, it’s the light and fluffy kind of frosting, but it still adds more to the inside of the cupcake than just the cake itself.

I was disappointed that the chocolate inside was simply just cold chocolate syrup. Although I love chocolate syrup on my vanilla ice cream or to make chocolate milk, I thought a ganache would have better fit this cupcake and really complemented the frosting and the cake itself.

Not to mention the fact that the syrup was cold. It really threw me off since the cake was still somewhat warm as I got a cupcake from a very fresh batch. Still, it was rather sinfully delicious.

Overall

So there it is!! I really enjoyed it and definitely plan to go back and try another sandwich. The crispy Mahi sandwich intrigued me, so I’ll have to go back for that.

I think this is a great place to grab a bite to eat if you’re trying to find something outside of the park’s usual burgers and hot dogs but don’t want to spend a fortune. Plus, come on, it’s the Contemporary Resort—who doesn’t love to ride the monorail through it? Next time you do, I encourage you to hop off and go enjoy some good food without all the crowds.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/03/23/guest-review-contempo-cafe-dinner-and-dessert/