Homemade Apple Pie Filling

June 4, 2013 39 Comments
PinExt.png

Pie tastes so much better when you use a homemade apple pie filling.  This one can be made in under 20 minutes.

Apple-Pie-Filling-title-3.jpg

Last summer I started making my own apple pie filling, instead of buying the canned filling.  I have to admit that I have used canned pie fillings since then because sometimes it’s just more convenient.  But if you have the extra time, I recommend giving this recipe a try.  I like knowing that this pie filling doesn’t have any of the preservatives or extra ingredients in it.  It is very easy and takes about 20 minutes from start to finish.

One way to cut down on a bit of time is by using Crunch Pak apples.  They come cored and pre sliced in bags.  For this filling, you will use 1 large bag of apples.  Use a sharp paring knife and remove the skins and cut them into chunks.  It doesn’t take too much time to do this.  Combine some sugar, water, and cornstarch to make a filling and boil with the apples.

Apple-Pie-Filling-2.jpg

It does take a little bit of cooling time for it to set up, so you will want to make this the night before and refrigerate it over night.  Then it is ready the next morning for parfaits or pie.  Come back later this week to see what I made with this filling icon_smile.gif  I suggest making a batch of the pie filling tonight, so you will be ready for the awesome pie I have to post later on.

Make sure you don’t miss any of the crazy baking

by following the BruCrew here:

FACEBOOK | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+ | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Yield: 4 cups of pie filling

Easy homemade apple pie filling

Ingredients

5 cups peeled,chopped apples (I used a large bag of Crunch Pak apples)
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups water

Instructions

1. Toss the apples with lemon juice and set aside. Combine the sugars, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a saucepan. Stir in water. Bring mixture to a boil. Boil 2 minutes stirring constantly.
  2. Add the apples and bring to a boil again. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 10-12 minutes. Cool completely. It will set up as it cools. Makes 4 cups of apple pie filling. Keep refrigerated in a sealed container for 4-5 days.

Other fun apple recipes you can use Crunch Pak apples in:

toffee-apple-pie-cookies1.jpg

Toffee Apple Pie Cookies

apple-pie-parfait2.jpg

Apple Pie Cheesecake Parfaits

apple-cider-whoopie-pies5.jpg

Apple Cider Whoopie Pies

caramel-apple-granola-bars.jpg

Caramel Apple Granola Bars

Apple_Snickers_Cake_2.jpg

Apple Snickers Cake

http://insidebrucrewlife.com/2013/06/homemade-apple-pie-filling/