About two years ago, I did the Segway tour at the Fort and I had the most wonderful instructor.  At the end of the tour, I wanted to show my appreciation for his help and attention by tipping him, but no one else approached him.  I thought that perhaps he wasn't allowed to accept tips.  In November I'm going to be at the Fort with some friends and we are going to do the Segway thing again.  Is the instructor allowed to accept tips?  And what about bus drivers who go out of their way to help us?  I did write a letter commending the instructor's kindness and helpfulness, but that seemed so inadequate.  What is your advice?

CMs cannot accept tips or gifts for doing their job. The best thing to do is find the nearest guest relations center and drop their name and let them know how great a job they did.

Even if they took the tip or gift, disney policy is that the CM must turn it in to their leader. If not, the CM could be terminated for not following policy.

The exception to this rule is normally tipped positions such as servers, where the tip is considered a part of their pay.

CMs cannot accept tips or gifts for doing their job. The best thing to do is find the nearest guest relations center and drop their name and let them know how great a job they did.

Even if they took the tip or gift, disney policy is that the CM must turn it in to their leader. If not, the CM could be terminated for not following policy.

The exception to this rule is normally tipped positions such as servers, where the tip is considered a part of their pay.

Dave, I've heard in the past that CM's are instructed to decline tips 3 times, and if the guest continues to insist they can then accept it.  Is that true?  And if so, are they then required to turn the tip in to their leader?  What does the leader do with it? 

Dave, I've heard in the past that CM's are instructed to decline tips 3 times, and if the guest continues to insist they can then accept it.  Is that true?  And if so, are they then required to turn the tip in to their leader?  What does the leader do with it? 

No. That is not true. CMs are not permitted to accept tips at all. The 3 times thing is a rumor. If they do accept it because the person is being persistent, the CM must turn it into a leader. The tip, if monetary, will be placed into a fund and donated to charity. If it is a gift, the leader turns it in to an HR rep and it is decided what to do with it. If small enough, the CM MAY get to keep it. But most likely will never see it again.

I have had guests try to tip me before. One was a $50 bill. One had heard the rumor of the decline 3 times and just said can you accept tips 3 times in a row. He was shocked when I still did not accept the tip. Some will hide it in their hand and when they go to shake your hand slip it to you. I personally do not even touch a guests money. But I always tell them to stop by guest relations and just let them know how good a job did.

I was told the 3 time thing by the head cast member herself at the sandpiper kids club. We wanted to tip them(my daughter loves going there) and she said we must decline 3 times before we can accept. So we just offered it three times. She took it. Are they considered like waiters? Was she wrong?

I was told the 3 time thing by the head cast member herself at the sandpiper kids club. We wanted to tip them(my daughter loves going there) and she said we must decline 3 times before we can accept. So we just offered it three times. She took it. Are they considered like waiters? Was she wrong?

She was wrong. And no, they do not claim tips as part of their income. That makes the difference between who can and cannot accept tips.