Road service denial of dogs caused horrific accident after rv breaks down

We've talked about safely transporting our furry companions here before (squirrels not included) but this latest accident has me wondering about our pets fate in the event we'd need to call road service. Do you know what your emergency road service allows regarding animals? 

Friends in the UK have discovered a heartbreaking clause in their auto club coverage which allowed the tow truck driver to refuse to transport members returning from an agility show after their vehicle broke down. The women were left alone on the roadside with 12 show dogs for hours when their rv broke down. The tow truck came but refused to take them with the dogs so they waited for help on the shoulder for hours until a truck hit them. This is what it looked like after that.

If my info is up to date three dogs perished in the accident, one of the humans suffered a badly broken leg, and the dogs roaming the highway were being searched for. As of now, I think all have been recovered, some are still being treated at animal hospitals but sadly, one of the three beautiful cardigan corgis that got loose and wandered the highway didn't make it on the busy road.

A lot of us travel with dogs. I plan to call AAA on Monday to clarify their policy. Does anyone know if Good Sam road service excludes animal transport in the event of accident or breakdown? What about Coachnet?

okay, I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I can't get the picture to post. :banghead:  I've got to take Starla to work and will try again when I get back, Maybe one of you could copy it from my fb page before then? maybe? possibly? perhaps? pretty please?? 

ETA: And Starla saves the Picture day!! <3 <-Starla

564015_217856795062215_1605273567_n.jpg

When we flipped the camper in our accident, calling road side assistance didn't factor into the equation as we actually went to the emergency room.  We were incredibly fortunate that the ambulance crew let us bring the dogs with us (I'm still amazed by that).  Otherwise my plan was to stay behind while DH went to get checked out (they thought he might have glass in his eyes - thankfully he didn't), and call someone to come get us.  In our case we were not far from a few people we could have called.  I honestly don't know what I'd have done otherwise.

We definitely need to check out what our options would be for roadside assistance if we were far from home.  It's honestly something I've never thought about. 

I can see this. Although I like my pups more than a lot of people, not everybody feels that way. Maybe the tow truck driver has a morbid fear. Maybe he's allergic to dogs (I don't know if dog allergies exist, but it seems people are allergic to everything today). Maybe there's worry about dogs not being "house trained" in the cab of the tow truck. Maybe the travel insurance companies are worried about aclu litigation on behalf of the tow truck drivers union.

Not sure how to mitigate this impasse. I like Mo's idea. I would probably stay behind and wait for a rental car

There's no doubt that I'd stay with the dogs too. And sadly, that's exactly what happened in this accident - they wouldn't leave the dogs and were eventually hit by a truck while sitting with the disabled rv on the shoulder. Details are still filtering down. This morning more details and pictures were posted here. With my towing anxiety, I probably never should have looked at them. With that kind of destruction, it seems like a blessing that there weren't more deaths or injuries.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2512356/Three-dogs-killed-woman-left-broken-leg-crash-M40.html

The 19 year old Russian kennel assistant is still in intensive care with a broken leg, three fractured vertebra in her spine plus a punctured lung. She's reportedly on a board and being turned every five minutes for the collapsed lung. Sending my prayers for this young girl hospitalized so far from her home and family as well as to the breeders involved...