Directions from Turnpike to the Fort

I could have sworn this was already posted somewhere in here - probably buried in a thread, but I can't fine it.  If you know where it is, we'd appreciate a link. 

If not, we'll be coming in from the Florida Turnpike and, according to some fiends, pulling a "Queen Mary". So we're looking for a nice, wide route.

Other tibits you may want to consider:

1) Yes, we have a trucker's GPS and, no, we don't trust it.  (Let's just say It has earned its reputation despite current map updates.)  It also has a nasty reputation of throwing the "No info" flag (meaning it has no height, width or weight info for the road we're on) at a most inopportune time.

2) Yes, we also have an in-dash GPS.  It thinks we're driving a Ford Fiesta.  It, too, is kept current (very expensive).  But it's database is lacking.  According to it, we drive "off-road" a lot.  

3) We have the large print truckers road atlas, but you'd be surprised how often the "city" background color on the map also matches or washes-out the "designated truck route" background color.  

Consequently, we need help.  Thanks!  David

If your coming down I-75 to the Turnpike you would take 429(toll road) towards Tampa and get off at Hartzog Road/Western Way and then just follow the signs to the FT.  Always stay in the left lane on Western Way and Buena Vista. 

GPS will probably tell you to use 535, but I wouldn't, go down to Hartzog.

Clarifying question...

You say to get off at Hartzog Road/Western Way.

Mapquest says what I copied & pasted below from the turnpike.

Is Hartzog Road / Western Way the same as CR-535?

rs1001.png?n=19&d=RIGHT   13. Take the CR-535 exit, EXIT 19, toward Winter Garden Vineland Rd.Map
0.3 Mi

merge_right.png   14. Merge onto Stoneybrook West Pky.Map
0.1 Mi

turn_left.png   15. Take the 1st left onto Winter Garden Vineland Rd.Map
  • If you reach SR-429-TOLL S you've gone about 0.5 miles too far
2.9 Mi

turn_left.png   16. Turn left to stay on Winter Garden Vineland Rd.Map
  • Winter Garden Vineland Rd is 0.1 miles past Lake Cawood Dr
  • If you are on Ficquette Rd and reach Fossick Rd you've gone about 0.2 miles too far
7.6 Mi

turn_right.png   17. Turn right onto Vista Blvd.Map
  • Vista Blvd is 0.3 miles past Mystic Cir
  • If you reach E Buena Vista Dr you've gone about 0.1 miles too far
1.8 Mi

turn_right.png   18. Turn right.Map
  • 0.1 miles past Golf View Dr
0.1 Mi

turn_left.png   19. Take the 1st left onto Fort Wilderness Trl (Gate access required).Map
0.1 Mi

turn_left.png   20. Turn left to stay on Fort Wilderness Trl.Map
  • If you reach Peacock Pass you've gone about 0.2 miles too far
0.2 Mi

route_end.png   21. 1510 N FORT WILDERNESS TRL.Map
  • If you reach Vista Blvd you've gone about 0.1 miles too far

stop.png?text=B&color=red1

Disney's Fort Wilderness Campground and Resort
1510 N Fort Wilderness TrlLake Buena VistaFL 32830

(407) 824-2900

Hartzog/Western Way exit is past CR535 exit.  Just stay on 429 to H/WW.  One nice thing about going this way is; at the entrance to the Fort you have a simple left hand turn whereas from CR535 you are practically making a U-turn.

On MapQuest go to map.  Put in WDW Fort Wilderness, FL.   Scroll No. to 429, follow 429 around and you will see what Grumpy was talking about.  Good luck.

Might see you, if we get down while you are there.

...One nice thing about going this way is; at the entrance to the Fort you have a simple left hand turn whereas from CR535 you are practically making a U-turn.

Perfect for us.  (We will drive further to avoid the right hand turn into the fort.)  We're using an old version of RV Roadtrip Navigator to do our advanced planning for our trips.  Once I put a way point on Western Way, it diagrammed the route just as you've written.  Thanks!  David

And if you follow the other directions down 535 (that paulmlac just posted) it takes you in the back gate, which many people have done, and you can't get in. You then have to figure out how to turn around so you can use the front gate and check in with the security guard.

Directions to WDW/Ft. Wilderness from I-75

I-75 S

Get off at exit 328 (approximately 140 miles from Georgia/Florida State Line, approximately 107 miles from I-10)

Travel on Florida Turnpike to Exit 267A (429S) (approximately 42 miles)

Travel on 429S to Exit 8 (Disney World/Hartzog Rd) (approximately 14 miles)

This road will take you to West Buena Vista Dr near Coronado Springs.

Turn right if going to All-Stars or Animal Kingdom Lodge, turn left if going anywhere else, then follow the Disney signs to your destination.

Tolls on the main Turnpike will be $2.50 for a standard vehicle. (More if pulling a trailer).

Tolls on 429S to Disney World will be just $1.00 as the Disney World Exit doesn't appear to charge a toll.

(I based the mileage on the exit numbers as they coincide with mile markers). 

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what I got a while back from "Retired and Happy (Ken". They seem to be same directions with a few more details. Hope he doesn't mind my reposting.

Down I-75 to Exit 328 onto the Florida Turnpike. Exit the Turnpike onto hiway 429... Exit 267A....Daniel Webster Western Beltway. There is a high flying exit with lots of signs letting you know it goes to Disney. Exit right and keep right at the split. Proceed to Exit 8, exit right and and turn left under the hiway onto Western Way. In a mile or so you will pass under the arch welcoming you top WDW. After passing Coronado Springs Resort, Western Way dead ends in Buena Vista. Turn left onto Buena Vista and watch for the World Drive sign. Cross over World Drive and turn left onto World Drive. Follow that to the booth at the entrance to the Ticket and Transportation Center parking lot. Stay in the next to right-most lane and tell the attendant you are going to Ft Wilderness. They will direct you through and to a close turn onto Vista Blvd on the right. Watch for Disney busses in the extreme right lane before you make the lane switch and turn. A couple miles down Vista Blvd you will see the entrance to Ft Wilderness on the left. Proceed to the guard shack in the right lane and "he" will direct you toward the checkin booth straight ahead. From ther you are on your own. Good luck.

These directions may sound complicated, but there are really only a couple of turns to watch for and this route avoids the traffic congestion on I-4. Oh, both the Turnpike and the Beltway are toll roads, but the tolls are relatively small. At least small compared to what you are about to spend after you park your rig at the Fort..

Thanks!  We now have a new Good Sam GPS to get mad at. One of those large screen ones made specifically for RVs.  We got the large screen version to make it easier for Donna to see while driving the rig.  There was also some hope that I could plan this trip (or any other trip) on-line at the Good Sam website and export it to the GPS.  First try, I put in all the way-points and over-nights on the website and exported it to the GPS.  Then I tried to use it.  It took us to the dead end of the campground road where we're at (opposite end of the entrance/exit end of said campground road) and said we'd arrive at our destination.  "Nope", I thought, "You're about 550+ miles short."    Being a retired navy guy, I thought some other words, too.

Yep, been cheaper to just use the Fort Fiends forum and a good road map. It's what we're gonna end up doing, anyway.

David