From Ohio down and back on 77...

As it worked out for us, we stayed in a pull through full hookup site at Camp wilderness at Carowinds Amusement park on the way down, just a few miles south of Charlotte, NC. Easy on and off of 77, and there's fuel and food all around the exit.

On the way back, we drove all the way to the KOA in Statesville, NC. Easy on and off 77, but nothing else at exit. A little highway noise there, too, but we were all able to sleep through the night with no probs.

• 6 months later...

We almost stayed at Camp Wilderness at Carowinds a few years ago.  In early June we drove from Ohio to Charlotte and checked into the campground at about 5 pm.  After getting set up, we took the kids to the pool, as it was about 90 degrees.  The pool was closed.  At 6 pm.  In June.  We asked at the desk and we learned that the campground basically closed all of its amenities at the same time that the amusement park closed.  Why?  Who the hell knows.  We told them "screw you, refund our money".  We packed up and went down 77 the 6 miles to the Fort Mill KOA.  We swam.  The kids were happy.  We were happy.  We won't try the Carowinds campground again. 

• 1 month later...

I know the thread is a little dated, but coming from I-77 , and Pittsburgh, a good stop if you leave after work is the Ft. Chiswell RV park.  It's only $30, right in Max Meadows, VA between the I-81 and I-77 connection.  Super nice guy, cash in the drop box in the AM and you're good to go.  It's about 5hrs from Pittsburgh, then another 10 to the fort.  On the way home its a great spot, because you can leave the West Virginia mountains for the next day.

Hope this helps someone.

AP