help plan a trip for newbies...plz

if you were planning your first ever trip to disney and were only going to be there a week (possibly halloween or close to)---

you have a 5yr old--

you want to go to harry potter one day--

you also don't have money to do "everything"--

how would you plan your trip?

I will tell you my tentative plan and you can make any changes you would like to fit your schedule.

When we go in November, I will have a 3 & 4 year old and we plan on getting a 4 day MYW ticket and a ticket to MVMCP.

We are arriving Sunday afternoon and plan on setting up and going over to DTD to explore a little, than head back.

Monday try and get to rope drop at MK and spend the day there.

Tuesday I think we are going to go to AK for a little and than if the dates I saw were correct, head to MK for MVMCP.

Wednesday I am going to try and schedule a late breakfast at CRT and than spend the rest of the day and night at the Fort to give the little ones some rest and let them explore.

Thursday we are going to go back to MK and finish up our vacation either at Mickey's BBQ or Chef Mickey's for dinner.

Friday, pack up and start the journey home with an overnight stop at our condo in Myrtle Beach.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate them.

Best Regards,

Norm

First if you can book your campsite through AAA which will save 10% right off the site. Then buy your tickets from undercovertourist.com as they have the best prices on tickets. Now I'm only speaking from what we learned the last two years going to the fort. With little ones that young what ever you do don't force them to hit the parks like commandos unless they are up for it. Every kid is different so just be aware if they are pushed to hard they may ruin your day. My sisters kids were ok with it but ours were not & we payed for it. When you go to the MVMCP make sure you let them rest plenty that day because that party gets better the later you stay. Everyone seems to leave after the last parade & then there are characters all over to meet, you will love it.

this is for a friend of mine.  they plan to be arrive at disney on sunday afternoon.  so, they would have all day mon, tues, wed, thur.  & then leave on friday.

my thoughts were that she get a 2 day pass and do the magic kingdom and either animal kingdom or hollywood studios.  they are also planning to go to islands of adventure one day.  that would give them 3 full days out of 4 days. 

the other thought is 1 day for a park-animal kingdom or hollywood studios.  1 day for mnsshp-which would get them into the magic kingdom for a little while.  then their one day at islands of adventure.  this might be less expensive and a little more relaxing than going every day. 

what are your thoughts?

I loved MomofsixinSC's trip report. They only did one day at MK and it sounded and looked like they had a great time. http://fortfiends.net/forum/index.php?topic=951.msg14947#msg14947

With a 5 year old, my best advice would be to take their time. I'm sure 1 day at MK and the day at IOA is a lot, maybe they could spend some time at downtown disney as well.

I would definitely hit MK at rope drop one day - the 5yo will be over the top at MK.  I hate to say this - I have a family member who's worked at DHS for many many years - but with only 2 days I would avoid DHS.  It takes a lot of planning and strategy to get the most out of your day because you have to work around show schedules.  I found it very frustrating with only 3 days in parks last year.  We finally bolted at lunch, took a break, and headed to Epcot.  If you were staying longer, 5yo might enjoy some stunt shows and if you can get into Toy Story Mania.

well, i may have them talked into the 3 day pass with one day free.  they only have 4 whole days there. but, they could use one day when they arrive.  just to go into mk and ride a couple rides.  like i said they also want to do ioa.  i think they are getting what disney has to offer - now that i gave them a bunch of park information.  thanks..

When we go in November, I will have a 3 & 4 year old and we plan on getting a 4 day MYW ticket and a ticket to MVMCP.

Monday try and get to rope drop at MK and spend the day there.

Tuesday I think we are going to go to AK for a little and than if the dates I saw were correct, head to MK for MVMCP.

Wednesday I am going to try and schedule a late breakfast at CRT and than spend the rest of the day and night at the Fort to give the little ones some rest and let them explore.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate them.

Norm, like you, we have a 1 year age difference with our children.  When they were that age the schedule you have with 2 full days in a row and then the morning of the 3rd day would have been too much for them.  We found that we could do a full day and possibly part of the next day, but that was our limit.  The  kids were tired and either needed to rest or just have some down time around FW.  At that age, there were times they just wanted to go swimming or to the playground rather than go to any park  >:D

Every child is different and you obviously know the limits of yours, but I just wanted to offer an opinion based on actual experience.  Believe me when I say, you will only go through the "over tired" child experience once before you learn to cut back on the heavy schedule  :banana:  That was our experience anyway!!

I was thinking of changing it as of last week. I'm still waiting for the official MVMCP dates to make a final decision, but I think Tuesday is changing to a day at either AK or DHS and than Wednesday is going to be CRT in the late morning, back to the Fort, than MVMCP at night, as long as the rumored dates are true. Than Thursday they can sleep in and we can head back to MK whenever their functioning. If push comes to shove, I can actually try and extend my reservation and leave Saturday and arrive home Sunday to give them a break in between if we think they need it. Honestly, I think they will be fine, but I have 3 back up plans in my head just in case. Thanks for the help

Best Regards,

Norm

• 2 weeks later...

I could really use this info too for our trip in January 2012.  :dance:

We are checking into FW on a Saturday and leaving the following Friday. I do know that I'm only buying MYW 4 day passes, but I'm at a loss with what to do with them!!  :bugeyes: Our party is a little "varied"...DH & I (2nd/3rd trips respectively from childhood), our rugrats at 4 & 6 (first trip), my neice, 11 (first trip) and both sets of parents. My parents are up for anything, DH's parents are a little older and may not be up to all the walking. I'm very stressed about this trip, can't ya tell?  :banana:

well, i think they are going with the 2 day tickets.  but, they are talking about the mnsshp.  they are starting to realize how much there is to do at disney.  i also hope they plan on just having a couple days that are not planned and just go with the flow on those days.