Thanksgiving in a Pop-Up

Maybe look at a turkey breast instead of a whole turkey, that should cook in a crock pot.

If you cook the breast before you leave, then freeze it in a bag with gravy, you would only have to reheat it.

We did baked potatoes in our crock pot Halloween weekend.  They came out good, but I would start them the night before.

I would make as much as possible ahead of time and freeze the items, then reheat in a crokpot or on a stove or the grill.

Our food stayed frozen in our ice chests, in fact I had a hard time getting our chili out of the container to put in the crock pot.  That's what I get for using a container with a narrower opening then the body and an indented grip.

Publix groceries has entire dinners for 6 in a box, but you would have to pick it up the day before and store it somewhere.

I think iHop has to go dinners, not sure if you can get them on Thanksgiving or have to pick up day before.

Check Pintrest for recipes and ideas for easy camping.

I love my crock pots and use all of them for Thanksgiving.

The night before, I wash and chop potatoes and start them cooking in a crock pot.  The next day, when I have a few minutes, I drain off the water, add butter and milk, and mash them.  This year, I might try adding homemade "Boursin" Herbed Cheese and sour cream instead of milk and butter.

I cook my green bean casserole in another crock pot.  I use the regular recipe from the can of Durkees French-fried Onions (except I make my own "condensed" mushroom soup).  I cook it about 6 hours total on low.  The last hour, I add the extra french fried onions, and then prop the top of the crock pot open with chopsticks (just laying across the top) so the onions can crisp up.

This blog post has recipes for Crock Pot "Stuffing" as well as Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese and how I do "Baked" Potatoes in the crock pot. http://memoirable.blogspot.com/2009/05/crockpot-recipes.html

I also use a crock pot to heat the creamed corn.  I just buy cans and pour them into the crock pot and turn it on low for 3-4 hours.  If i forget, I heat them in microwave and put them in the crock on warm.

HTH!

One year we knew we were going to be spending Thanksgiving in a Walmart parking lot on our way to the Fort. That meant propane, but no electricity.

I cooked things ahead...

roasted turkey parts (quicker than a whole bird) and corn bread - both wrapped in foil and warmed in the oven

mashed potatoes - warmed over a pan of hot water (kept them from drying out)

gravy on the stove top  (of course)

and I think we had another vegetable - probably carrots or corn - heated on the stove

We had the hybrid that year and had made the bed across the dinette/sofa so we didn't have to open it up to sleep.  We had our Thanksgiving dinner picnic style - and I even remembered the cranberry sauce!

• 2 weeks later...

I love my crock pots and use all of them for Thanksgiving.

The night before, I wash and chop potatoes and start them cooking in a crock pot.  The next day, when I have a few minutes, I drain off the water, add butter and milk, and mash them.  This year, I might try adding homemade "Boursin" Herbed Cheese and sour cream instead of milk and butter.

I cook my green bean casserole in another crock pot.  I use the regular recipe from the can of Durkees French-fried Onions (except I make my own "condensed" mushroom soup).  I cook it about 6 hours total on low.  The last hour, I add the extra french fried onions, and then prop the top of the crock pot open with chopsticks (just laying across the top) so the onions can crisp up.

This blog post has recipes for Crock Pot "Stuffing" as well as Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese and how I do "Baked" Potatoes in the crock pot.

I also use a crock pot to heat the creamed corn.  I just buy cans and pour them into the crock pot and turn it on low for 3-4 hours.  If i forget, I heat them in microwave and put them in the crock on warm.

HTH!

Love that chopstick trick Marty!  

CrockPot mac and cheese is a staple in our home.  Thanksgiving would cease to exist without it.