Strawberry Gumdrops Hearts

http://www.soberjulie.com/2014/01/strawberry-gumdrop-hearts-recipe-valentines-day-treat/

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups applesauce
  • 2 pkg. (85 grams or 3 oz each) Jell-O Strawberry Jelly Powder
  • 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
PREPARATION:

strawberry-heart-gumdrops-recipe-collage

Begin by spraying a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and chill it in the refrigerator.
In a large saucepan combine 2 cups of sugar, applesauce, Jell-O and gelatin and stir constantly over medium heat, allow it to come to a boil for 1 minute.

IMG_6048-1024x682.jpg
Pour into the cold baking pan and place in the refrigerator until it’s set. I actually placed mine in the snow outside for 1 hour, because I’m Canadian and all.

Run a spatula around the perimeter of the set gelatin and slide underneath very carefully to loosen. Sprinkle sugar onto a cutting board and invert the pan over it, the gelatin should slide out. When I flipped mine out, I saw a wee heart in bubbles isn’t that amazing?

strawberry-gumdrops-recipe-out-of-pan.jp
Gently lift the gumdrop rectangle and sprinkle more sugar onto the board and lay the gelatin onto it. The sugar helps keep the gelatin from sticking to the board and tastes lovely.

Strawberry-Gumdrop-Hearts-Recipe-cutting
Cut out your heart shapes using a cookie cutter of your choice and roll them in remaining sugar to coat the shapes fully and store in an air-tight container.

strawberry-gumdrop-hearts-recipe-sq-WM-1

5.0 from 1 reviews
Strawberry Gumdrop Hearts Recipe - A Valentine's Day Treat
Author: Julie Elsdon-Height

A fun, sweet treat for Valentine's Day
Ingredients
  • 2½ cups sugar
  • 1½ cups applesauce
  • 2 pkg. (85 grams or 3 oz each) Jell-O Strawberry Jelly Powder
  • 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
Instructions
  1. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and chill it in the refrigerator.
  2. In a large saucepan combine the sugar, applesauce, Jell-O and gelatin and stir constantly over medium heat.
  3. Allow to come to a boil for 1 minute.
  4. Pour into the cold baking pan and place in the refrigerator until it's set. I actually placed mine in the snow outside for 1 hour, because I'm Canadian and all.
  5. Run a spatula around the perimeter of the set gelatin and slide underneath very carefully to loosen.
  6. Sprinkle sugar onto a cutting board and invert the pan over it, the genatin should slide out.
  7. Gently lift the gumdrop rectangle and sprinkle more sugar onto the board and lay the gelatin onto it.
  8. Cut out your heart shapes using a cookie cutter of your choice.
  9. Roll in more sugar to coat the shapes fully and store in an air-tight container.