No longer need resort reservations for FP+

You have always been able to do fast pass with in 30 days of a visit, or 60 if staying on property

Did it change?

Yes it changed.  It hasn't always been 30/60.

Testing began in August 2013, and FP+ was only available by invitation to guests staying at selected WDW resorts.  Passholders and regular ticket holders were expected to use the old paper system during the testing.

Around the beginning of January, 2014, FP+ became available to all resort guests, and shortly after that it became available to passholders.

In March 2014, it became available to all ticket holders, but those with resort reservations got to select their FP+'s 60 days in advance, while regular ticket holders and passholders could only select theirs 30 days in advance:  https://www.undercovertourist.com/blog/disney-fastpass-plus-for-offsite-guests/

There hasn't been much change since then.  The current 30/60 day system has been in effect for about 15 months now.

maybe they opened it up to all tickets and not just the AP?  

I dunno, I had a AP when it went live2+ years ago and reserve my FP+ at the 60 day mark

You must be remembering something wrong.

All ticket holders have been entitled to select FP+'s 30 days in advance since March 31, 2014.

An AP would not have gotten you anything without a resort reservation 2+ years ago.  They just started testing the FP+ system not quite 2 years ago in August, 2013.

AP holders without resort reservations did not get to use FP+ until early 2014.  For a brief time, they got a 60 day window, but it was soon shortened to 30 days, and has been 30 days ever since.

TCD