The Chime in Thread made me hungry, so...

Yesterday I was posting about all of our delicious southern food. This led to some cravin's!

Country Fried Steak

Ingredients (keep it simple)

Cubed Steak

flour

Salt & pepper to taste

oil to fry

Season Flour with Salt and Pepper. I use a ziploc bag. Shake meat in bag while heating oil. When oil is hot, begin frying. Be careful not to get the grease too hot because you will want it for the gravy.

flour.jpg

frying.jpg

platter.jpg

Gravy

Drain some of the grease out leaving the sediment and a couple or more tablespoons of grease. Add flour until you get a thickened kind of roux. Turn heat down and let it cook a while. Slowly add in beef stock while stirring maniacally. Keep slowly adding until it is to the desired consistency.

roux.jpg

gravy.jpg

Serve with real mashed potatoes or rice, a nice veggie like peas or greens and biscuit or cornbread.

plate.jpg

Brilliant idea for a thread!  Now y'all need to keep sharing your favorite recipes (and photos) so I can plan out the rest of the my week's dinner plans.  :)

I'll toss a request out to get you started...

This Northern girl needs a good and not terribly difficult biscuit recipe.  8)

You know I'm not a good recipe girl right?

Ingredients

Self Rising Flour

Lard or Shortening

buttermilk or milk

Preheat oven to 450 to 475. Put flour in a biscuit bowl or just whatever you have. Put in some lard. Use your fingers, a fork or a pastry thingy to cut the lard in. You want small little pieces. Make a well and add the buttermilk and start bringing together til it forms a ball. Don't over handle if you want flaky biscuits. Plop on a floured board and gently roll out about 1/4 inch or so thick. You can use a biscuit cutter or just a glass about the right size. Butter a pan and place biscuits almost touching each other. Bake until browned, fluffy and not mushy about 10 to 15 minutes.

OR

Mrs. B's Frozen biscuits are a good substitute! Bisquick actually works pretty well too, just add a pinch of baking powder.

Mama was not a recipe girl either so I learned by watching. Even when I use a recipe I just wing it for the most part and make changes as I go. The bad thing about that is if you make something really good, you have no idea how to recreate it! 

Disclosure: Usually I take a shortcut somewhere in the meal. For instance in that country fried steak meal, the biscuits were Mrs. B's. Not as good as homemade, but when you are frying and making gravy there's not a lot of time to make biscuits! :)

My Mama said you have to have "good hands" for biscuits and dumplins" sometimes I have them, sometimes not. I think it's a matter of being gentle wit the dough.

You know I'm not a good recipe girl right?

Mama was not a recipe girl either so I learned by watching. Even when I use a recipe I just wing it for the most part and make changes as I go. The bad thing about that is if you make something really good, you have no idea how to recreate it!

Just point me in the right direction and I can usually figure it out.  :)

There are lots of things I make that I just totally wing and never make the same way twice - like red sauce and rum balls.  8)

For stuff like that it's usually a case of what's in season or handy, what mood I'm in, and tasting as I go. 

Even when I have a recipe, a lot of times I tweak things.

My Mama said you have to have "good hands" for biscuits and dumplins" sometimes I have them, sometimes not. I think it's a matter of being gentle wit the dough.

Both are on my list of things to try that I haven't yet.

My mom makes a great chicken and dumplings but really doesn't have a recipe either.  It's all in how the dough feels.