Can anyone offer some kid friendly recommendations for any GA campgrounds for big rigs?

Wife may want to entertain not going to FW this year so looking to see if there are any alternatives where it may be a little cooler and it's under a 10hr trip.

Thx in advance.

We took our big rig to Jekyll Island one spring break. Only issue was it was very windy crossing the very high bridge.

Our friends had been there all week (3 families, 7 kids)., and we just stopped for a day or two on our way to FL at the end of their week. There was a LOT of rain so they all packed up and left early. We did not get to check out the beach, but we went to the sea turtle hospital and my kids enjoyed that.

Not sure how cool it is in the summer. I'm thinking hot, but there were a lot of live oaks providing shade in the campground.

No-see-ums were horrible when we were there. Couldn't have the windows open because they came through the screens.

Someone else also suggested that.  It looks great, will have to add to the list.

Unfortunately they are booked up for new years :(

As to what to do, as much as possible.  We like to be active so biking, hiking, and some local specialty places as well check out the town and do some unnecessary shopping, etc. :)

On a side note, not sure why but this post got duplicated not sure why.

We took our big rig to Jekyll Island one spring break. Only issue was it was very windy crossing the very high bridge.

Our friends had been there all week (3 families, 7 kids)., and we just stopped for a day or two on our way to FL at the end of their week. There was a LOT of rain so they all packed up and left early. We did not get to check out the beach, but we went to the sea turtle hospital and my kids enjoyed that.

Not sure how cool it is in the summer. I'm thinking hot, but there were a lot of live oaks providing shade in the campground.

No-see-ums were horrible when we were there. Couldn't have the windows open because they came through the screens.

Thanks - looks like a very nice place.  How's the parking and spaces?

Thanks - looks like a very nice place.  How's the parking and spaces?

Just consulted my notes (yes, I keep a camping journal  :D ).  The only thing I wrote down besides the weather and bugs was that we were in G26. We have a 40ft MH. IIRC, the spaces were pretty level hard packed earth that were roomy enough.  I will ask my husband when he gets home later what he remembers.  That may have been our first or second trip in the MH after having a pop-up, so I think if there were difficulties with big rig we would remember.

Thank you all for the recommendations.

Going to look at the SC one too. That stone nountain one looks fantastic.

Looked at a couple of St. Augustine too but looks like everything's booked :(

Not that it's a big deal since we're booked at the Fort for now but would of been nice to see other Holiday destinations with cooler weather. Being from Florida I welcome 30's - 50's. Looks like this year it's going to a very warm Xmas season. Which I'm sure it's welcoming for some of the northern states folks.

If you like the mountains, we like River Vista. Now, the sites are not private, BUT it's super close to the Dillard House (my favorite country cooking restaurant), Highlands, NC, snow tubing in the winter. 2-3 Georgia wineries are also close by. There are LOTS of amenities at the campground too. 

http://www.rvmountainvillage.com/

I didn't realize you were looking for cooler in the winter. I thought you meant summer, but I guess it doesn't matter either way.  

Another place we loved (but also SC) is James Island County Park in Charleston, but it books up pretty far out too.  Also, I know you're in a big 5th wheeler, and the road in to that is not for the faint of heart.  We're talking low, low Live Oak branches draped across the road like every 3 ft.  The ranger gave us a different way to leave, but I'm not sure it was any better.  Even the 4 lane road off of that road had them in the right lane. Mr. CJH was driving super slow and had a long line of angry car drivers behind us, but we didn't want to lose an AC.  He actually said he would never go back there when we were driving out. But he has changed his mind and said he could. :-D  Best dog park I've ever seen there if you have any dogs.

If you like the mountains, we like River Vista. Now, the sites are not private, BUT it's super close to the Dillard House (my favorite country cooking restaurant), Highlands, NC, snow tubing in the winter. 2-3 Georgia wineries are also close by. There are LOTS of amenities at the campground too. 

http://www.rvmountainvillage.com/

Thanks going to look into this one tomorrow.

I didn't realize you were looking for cooler in the winter. I thought you meant summer, but I guess it doesn't matter either way.  

Another place we loved (but also SC) is James Island County Park in Charleston, but it books up pretty far out too.  Also, I know you're in a big 5th wheeler, and the road in to that is not for the faint of heart.  We're talking low, low Live Oak branches draped across the road like every 3 ft.  The ranger gave us a different way to leave, but I'm not sure it was any better.  Even the 4 lane road off of that road had them in the right lane. Mr. CJH was driving super slow and had a long line of angry car drivers behind us, but we didn't want to lose an AC.  He actually said he would never go back there when we were driving out. But he has changed his mind and said he could. :-D  Best dog park I've ever seen there if you have any dogs.

Ah, yes that would not work for me.  I'm the type that would pull over, spin up the genset and cut the trees from the electrical branch cutter I keep in the coach or turn around.  Too concerned with damage side and topside :)

We own some property near Madison FL that we just came back from and we had to do exactly that because where the property is its' pretty primitive so dirt road and tree growth everywhere. Primitive -  but we added well water and electric ;)

Thanks for the great info!