How to handle the holidays at Disney World

Christmas - New Years week is THE busiest time of the year at WDW.  This is generally followed by July 4th, Spring Break (especially if it falls near Easter) and Thanksgiving (Weds-Sun).

Capacity closures are common and this is good information to keep in mind...

There are 4 states to park capacity closures. 

1) Parking lot entrance is closed. You can only get to a park via Disney Transportation.

2) Ticket windows are all closed and automated ticket vending machines turned off. If you are not already holding a valid ticket, you cannot get in.

3) Only those with annual passes or current KTTW cards (resort IDs) are allowed in.

4) - Nobody is allowed in.

It's very important to note that even if you have a restaurant reservation in a park (even if you have a written confirmation and have pre-paid in advance) you will not be allowed in if you do not meet the phased closing criteria.

That said, the keys to crazybusy times at WDW...

4. Rope Drop

3. Fast Pass

2. Good Touring Plan

...and the #1 key to having a great time at WDW with thousands of your new best friends??

1. Good attitude and realistic expectations

Top 3 things to ruin a WDW vacation during crazybusy times...

3. Not making a plan and thinking you'll be able to just "wing it" and do everything you want without ADRs or a clue

2. Not being ok with standing in masses of people or waiting in lines for rides/shopping/food/bathrooms.

1. Expecting to "do it all"

Go expecting it to be crowded and having to wait in line and being prepared and ok with that.

Go with your short list of "must dos" and consider everything else a bonus.

Go with the attitude that you're just going to have a wonderful time just BEING AT WDW!

We went the week between Christmas and New Yearyss a couple of years ago and both my boys thought it was a great week, we even spent NY Eve  in the MK from 9am till almost 1 am and never left, it was GREAT. The worse  thing  was leaving the park I do think they could do a better job of this as everyone seem to be trying to cross paths all the time to get to either the monorail or the boats, it did seem to take forever.

Limited experience here but we went this past June and then for Christmas.  Early Morning Magic Hours!!  That would be my biggest tip.  I heard somewhere that late magic hours should be avoided as everyone wants to go to that park.  My strategy is to hit everything we really want to do then relax for the rest of the day.  Meander around and pick up the rest of the rides/attractions as we come across them..... only planning to ensure to be near the area of our ADR near time.  Waiting for parades (if you plan on watching them) is a great time for one adult to skip off for shopping while the other holds the spot.  Then we switch out.  We took our patience as well.  If you give yourself room to get upset by the crowds ..... 

An example of Extra Morning Magic Hours:  :highfive:

We did MK on the 23rd, we rode Buzz Lightyear(could have walked right back on it again), Dumbo, Snow White, It's A Small World, the carousel, and made it over to the Haunted Mansion a few minutes after regular park hours started.