Tent Camping For Just A Night Or Two - No Need To Be Discouraged.

Inspired by an old thread seen somewhere else and some terrific emails shared with a mom who really wants to give the kids a taste of tent camping in a safe & fun environment while still enjoying their traditional vacation at one of wdw's deluxe resorts... I thought I'd buck the trend elsewhere and start a thread to help those who are considering just a night or two at the fort either before ar after a hotel so they don't end up feeling as intimidated and discouraged as this family who almost cancelled their FW ressie was...

The first thing I wanted to say is that it can be done. You don't need to fly in all the supplies regular campers might deem a neccessity and you don't have to drop hundreds of dollars at walmart buying them when you get there. WDW rents tents for $30 a night and they set it up for you so all you have to do is checkin, find your site, and enjoy. At the end of your tenting adventure, you just need to pack up your personal items, checkout and head on to your next stop. WDW will handle taking down the tent for you too. If you want to add cots, they're an extra $4 per night. WDW doesn't supply sheets, pillows, or soap/shampoo/towels. You can take your own or decide to really rough it for just one night with the intention of showering as soon as you check into your hotel room the following day.

Don't be DIScouraged by folks who tell you that an overnight stay during the summer in a rented tent, rv, or cabin isn't giving camping a fair chance and you're likely to hate the very idea of camping forever as a result. Ditto those who suugest you positely must have a cooler & quarters for ice, air conditioner, camp stove, pots, pans, dishes, groceries, fishing rods, ect.

While it'd be helpful to read about the fort and learn a few of the major do & don'ts of tenting like not touching the sides in the rain.I know some would say you're setting yourself up to hate camping but really, for just one or two nights, you don't have to go the library and study everything you can find, then buy/borrow a tent for a dry run in the backyard first, or a "tent camping check list" from either google or your local outdoors store. You don't have to cancel your FW ressie. You can do this. There is an art to it but, despite the naysayers, it isn't rocket science. Even you can look like a pro to your kids b/c after all, this is new to them too, and they know even less than you do.

Depending upon the time of year, you likely will want a fan & a 25' extension cord. Yes, it is hot in the summer but it's not like you're going to be sitting in the tent all day like a sweat lodge or something. There are tons of things to do and your family wants to do them. Spend the day out exploring, looping on a golf cart, swimming, boating, whatever... It cools off a bit at night. Use the fan. There are people living in FL who don't have a/c. I wouldn't want to be them, but I can tolerate anything for a night or two if my family is having a good time. Make this the night you go to bed extra late and you probably won't notice the heat so much.

You can buy drinks & food already prepared. I know you don't want to cook, you know you don't want to cook... there's absolutely nothing wrong with that... hard-core campers have been known to eat out too, don't let them fool you. You're on vacation - do it your way, be flexible, and have fun! I know some people insisted you need the cooler & quarters for ice, along with a couple cases of water, but as you already know, this is disney and they're happy to sell you food & drinks with a few extra souvies thrown in for good measure.

Make your "must have" FW camping accessory a Golf Cart rental. It's worth every penny and may even be the best part of your whole trip. If I had to bet, I'd lay odds a glof cart will out-WOW stormalong bay any day...

The one piece of advice I'd give is one you already know... in Disney, as long as you have enough cash or credit with you, you've got what you need to enjoy yourself and make some great memories... :camp1: