summer trip "out west"

at the grand canyon you can take a mule down into the canyon.  but, know one thing first.  they are trained to walk on the edge of the trail.  they have fat bellies that tend to hang over the edge.  they do this so you get the best experience on the trail ride.  yeah, uh-huh.. not me- i will just take a walk thank you..

yellowstone-watch for wolf/grizzly spotters.  the folks with the big telescopes. stop and talk to them-if they have seen or have something in their view ask if you can take a look.  they normally have no problem showing you.  it is pretty cool to see grizzlies on a mountain side walking around or a pack of wolves resting in the shade.  they find what you normally can't.

custer state park has some tunnels that are a little tight.

custertunnel-1.jpg

we knew how high we were and which tunnels we could make it through.  it is a really cool park to stay at.  you can see mt rushmore from there, too.  if you look in the background, mt rushmore is right behind my family. 

Picture024.jpg

if you go up through utah, go to the flaming gorge it is awesome.

morning.jpg

We look my friend's 80 year old parents to the Grand Canyon last year because it was on their bucket list.  We stayed in a small cabin about 20 yards from the rim.  It was awesome.  You might try sitting on the El Tovar Lodge porch in the rocking chairs at sunrise or sunset to watch the colors change. 

If you drive up to Glen Canyon Dam, please note that you are not allowed to take ANYTHING in the visitors center and the parking lot is not monitored.  We decided not to go in because we didn't want to leave cameras, cell phones, purses unattended in the car. 

If you are going to Custer State park, you MUST stop by Mt Rushmore and the Crazy Horse monument. 

I didn't realize just how big Yellowstone is.  It will take several days to see the main highlights.  We were on the road that goes from 9:00 to 12:00 on the park map when a male buffalo wandered out into the middle of the road and faced our car.  He stood there till the whole herd made it safely across then he moved on.  What a site!

If you are going to make it to TX, you might stop by Fossil Rim Animal Park in Glen Rose.  That's where my avatar picture was taken.  Dinosaur Valley State Park is near by and a nice quiet place to spend a few days.

Oh, you are going to have so much fun! 

If you can sneak it in, try to get to Zion National Park.  It is about 4-5 hours away from The Grand Canyon and only about 2 hours from Las Vegas.  We drove to it early in the am from Vegas, spent a few hours then made the 5 hour drive back to Flagstaff all in one day.  Wish we could've spent more time there.  It is amazingly beautiful...my dh liked it better than the Grand Canyon. 

Both parks were amazing and I cannot wait to get back out there sometime w/ our camper.  Either DH has to be laid off again from work or wait a few years when we can take 4 works or more off!!  Someday! :siren:

If each of you doesn't already have a National Park Passport I suggest you get them.  They are the size of a regular Passport but with sections for each region of USA.  Each National Park, Monument and some Nation Forest visitor centers have inked passport stamps.  It's fun to collect the stamps and then to look back at where you have been.  The only cost is the original outlay - $8.95 each.  National Park Passports:  http://passport.eparks.com/store/

Also make sure you get a National Parks pass.  On a trip like you are talking about it will pay for itself quickly. http://www.nps.gov/fees_passes.htm

I've never been to Wind Cave near Custer State Park but I hear it is nice. 

we did just buy my DD11 a NPPassport and the kids version too.  She saw these in a NP store several months ago, and wanted to go back to that NP to get one.  Well, the 4 hr drive one way, the $10 entrance fee, and the gas to get there.... was worth the shipping fee from the NP online store!  :rofl:

But I didn't realize there was the annual pass.  Thanks for that tip!

I keep hearing such nice things about Zion NP.  I need to figure out a way to get there!

Oh, btw, the kids will be DS15, DD11 and DD9 on this trip... and maybe one DS23 (if he doesn't get a job right away, as he graduates from USMMA in June) 

there is also Dinosaur Monument?  Does anyone know where that is? we stopped and had a good time there.  i believe-not positive-that "sue" was found there.  you got to tour where the bones are found and see bones in the sand where they had found them.  i know it is out that way but, i am not sure if it was east of yellowstone or into s.d.

it was definitely a neat stop.

If you are going to Custer State park, you MUST stop by Mt Rushmore and the Crazy Horse monument. 

I agree!!  And if you are looking for a great campground in that area, check out the Palmer Gulch KOA.  It is our second favorite campground (after the Fort of course).

If you drive up to Glen Canyon Dam, please note that you are not allowed to take ANYTHING in the visitors center and the parking lot is not monitored.  We decided not to go in because we didn't want to leave cameras, cell phones, purses unattended in the car. 

OK, I have to ask. Why can't you take anything inside?

We stayed a couple nights in Bridge bay campground inside Yellowstone and 5 days at Grizzly in West Yellowstone (just outside of the park) We dry camped at bridge bay and enjoyed being right in the middle of everything. Grizzly is in a small town and is one of the nicer campgrounds we have stayed at, all the amenities except for a pool.

Make sure you stop in Cody at the Buffalo bill museum and either buy bear spray for your time in the park or carry a firearm.

I have lots of pics on my FB account. PM me and I will friend you so that you can see them.

When you drive through Custer State Park, you will probably run into these guys.

south_dakota11.jpg

They stop traffic and beg for food as the cars try to get through.  They like cheetos.

we never got to meet these guys!  but, in the flaming gorge we did meet some wild horses.  almost the same picture. lol

• 1 month later...