Booked A Trip To Pop Century In August

Well, it's not the Fort, but the free dining option with three kids seemed like the best way to go. That, and the to youngest have not so fond memories of the drive home from Florida in 2008 (like child birth, I have forgotten how bad it was, but they reminded us!).

So, Nancy managed to score two rooms at the Pop Century with the dining plan, upgraded to pay the extra for one sit down meal per day per person. All the ADRs were made for some of our favorite places, and we are travelling with Nancy's brother and family who joined us in 2005. It looks like it's going to be a great time and their kids are at that magical age where we can't wait to see the looks on their faces (6 and 3).

I have one surprise I am trying to see if I can pull off. Nancy really has a "thing" for those white Bic pens with the Walt Disney World written along the side that they use at the counters during registration at the hotel. It has been a topic of conversation over the years that I jokingly say that they must have a note on our file to warn the cast members that Nancy will take the pens during registration (I'm pretty sure it was out of habit because she would do the same thing with her checkbook at the grocery store or anywhere, but now it's a running joke between us and I call her the "pen cleptomaniac").

I was thinking of writing to the Pop Century resort, explaining this little history, adding a few $$ in the envelope and asking if I can pre-purchase a few of them for the cast member to hand her with a bow on them when we check in. Think they'll consider me crazy? They wouldn't be wrong, but I don't want to scare anyone :-)

I figure they track everything that we do at WDW, they must already be aware of Nancy's pen cleptomania tendencies because none of the CMs even bat an eyelash now when we register and they probably are forewarned when they look up our reservation.

Looking forward to this trip, in the meantime, here's a photo from around 2003 taken near dusk at the MK to start the pre-trip planning.

WDWNov2003191.jpg

I stayed at Pop Century the last two trips and very much enjoyed it. I didn't have the time off work to drive the 1100+ miles each way. It's fun to walk around the resort and look at all the oversized characters, etc. My favorite is the Playdough container with the giraffe and elephant looking out the top. If you look down on it from the upper floor of that building, you will see that the figures are complete with legs and tails standing in 1/2 a can of Playdough.

You have an assignment... post some pictures of the buildings on the other side of the lake that are again under construction.

Have a great time!

We used to really LOVE the free dining, but the value is getting less and less even when it's FREE!!!

I'm guessing the future the only time we'll use it is when it is time to get new annual passes and an offer is around that time.

The minimum two day pass requirement and the quick service only on the values has just brought it down way too much. (I know you can upgrade). We really don't eat one counter service and one sit down anyway. We ALWAYS have a hard time using all the counter service unless we have a LOT of meals at Pepper Market.