From the Disney Food blog...

Guest Review: Beers Around the World, Part 1

May 31st, 2011 by AJ.

Now’s a good time to grab a mug of your favorite brew as we welcome D.J. Jones with a review of beers found in Epcot’s World Showcase. D.J. is a lifelong Disney fan from Ocala, Florida. You can follow all of his adventures at The World of Deej. We raise our glass in a DFB toast to this first installment of Beers Around the World!

Via-Napoli-lager-300x460.jpg

La Rossa at Via Napoli in World Showcase's Italy

Perhaps my favorite thing to do in all of Disney is to take a stroll in Epcot’s World Showcase while enjoying my favorite adult beverage. Most of the time this is beer, and over the years I’ve tried each of the many brews offered throughout the World Showcase.

In preparation for this post, my team of experts conducted painstaking research, so that you may know what beer is available in each of the 11 pavilions. It was a tough job, especially for my liver, but somebody had to do it.

Mexico

Our adventure begins in the Mexico pavilion, where the research team visited La Cava del Tequila.

While tequila is the main attraction at La Cava, they also feature many of Mexico’s well-known beers. Sol, Bohemia, Tecate, Dos Equis Light, and Dos Equis Amber are all on the menu by the bottle.

I enjoyed a Dos Equis Amber, which features a nice body of flavor, and was ice cold. In fact, it was the coldest beer I’d have all day.

Dos-Equis-and-Amber.jpg

The Dos Equis Light and Amber

Norway

Next up for the team was Norway, where the only beverage cart hosted the limited selection of Bud Light, and Norway’s own Carlsberg on draft. As a Manchester United fan, it went against my being to order a Carlsberg, the long time sponsors of rival Liverpool, but I managed to set aside this objection for the sake of research.

The Carlsberg was medium-bodied, cold, and refreshing, which was welcome since the Florida sun was beating down upon us.

Carlsberg-410x550.jpg

Carlsberg draft in Norway

China

In Epcot’s world, China is adjacent to Norway on the map. There we found Budweiser and Yuengling on draft, as well as Tsing Tao by the bottle.

While Yuengling is one of my favorite beers, don’t let the Asian sounding name fool you; it’s brewed in Pennsylvania. So in keeping with the international theme of the day, we enjoyed a Tsing Tao, whose noticeably rice flavor gave a different, yet crisp taste.

Tsing-Tao-410x550.jpg

Tsing Tao in China

Germany

Following our trip to China, we made our way back to Europe, to a country that some say is synonymous with beer: Germany.

There are two walk-up locations serving Germany’s finest: the Radeberger Pilsner and the Altenmunster Oktoberfest. I opted for the latter, and enjoyed its stout flavor, which was a big contrast to the Tsing Tao in China. It seems that the offerings change quite often, as I recently enjoyed a Spaten here, but found it missing from the menu.

Germany-Beer-Cart-410x550.jpg

The decorative beer cart in Germany

Italy

After enjoying a few minutes in the shops of Germany, we made the short trip over to Italy.

While better known for their wine, Moretti fills the role of Italian beer nicely. Light and crisp, the Moretti was very refreshing, but was a bit warm to be fully enjoyed. In talking with some fellow “Beer Around the World” enthusiasts, we learned that the Moretti La Rossa is also available in Italy’s new eatery Via Napoli.

Moretti-410x550.jpg

The Moretti modeling in Italy

At this point, we found ourselves nearly halfway into our adventure. The combination of beer and the Florida sun meant that everyone on the research team was in need of one thing…a nap.

So stay tuned for part 2, as we travel from America to Canada, and complete our “Beers Around the World” adventure.

Until then…Cheers!

http://www.disneyfoo...e-world-part-1/

• 2 weeks later...

Part 2 from the Disney Food blog...

Guest Review: Beers Around the World, Part Two

Jun 13th, 2011

by AJ.

In part one of “Beers Around the World,” D.J. Jones and his team of experts examined the various beers available in Epcot’s World Showcase. Here is part two of their global journey.

japan-beer-guy-300x449.jpg

Kirin Beer Tap After several hours of tedious research, the combination of the Florida sun and beer had begun to take its toll. So the research team and I decided to head back to our hotel where we would take in a much needed nap. Feeling refreshed and ready to complete our “Around the World” journey, we returned to Epcot and picked up where we had left off, which was halfway around the “World” in…..well, America.

America

We entered the American pavilion’s Liberty Inn, where Bud Light and Samuel Adams Boston Lager were both available on draft. While either of those would have been an acceptable choice, I decided to wait on ordering as my gut told me something better lay on the horizon.

My patience soon paid off, as I was astonished to find Sam Adams “Boston Brick Red” on draft at a nearby ice cream cart. The beautiful amber color of this beer was only surpassed by its incredible body of flavor. I later was told that this beer has been limited in distribution to only Boston area bars, which makes finding it in the World Showcase that much more impressive.

beer1-410x550.jpg

The Samuel Adams Boston Brick Red

Japan

Next we journeyed back across the Pacific to the Japanese pavilion. There we found on draft Kirin Ichiban and Kirin Light, available at both the Yakitori House counter service, as well as a beverage stand outside the pavilion.

In contrast to the Tsing Tao we found at the Chinese pavilion, Kirin Ichiban features a smooth and crisp flavor, which to many, myself included, would be hard to identify as Asian.

beer2-410x550.jpg

Kirin Ichiban meditating next to Japan’s Koi pond

Morocco

Resisting the intense urge to have dinner at Japan’s Teppan Edo, our research team stayed focused to the cause by moving on to Africa and the Morocco pavilion.

Given I had never heard of a Moroccan beer, it did not surprise me to find Casablanca (Casa) as the only option available, as well as the old standbys of Bud, Bud Light, and Michelob Ultra. I found the Casa to be rather dry in flavor, and it was the first time all day I wished I had ordered something different.

beer3-410x550.jpg

“We’ll always have Paris…”

France

Following Morocco, the team and I made the short journey across the Mediterranean to France. Ordering a beer in this pavilion would be a first for me, as I’m usually drawn to the irresistible Grey Goose Slushie.

Sticking to the task at hand, I ordered the Kronenbourg 1664 and found it light and refreshing. Like Morocco, this was the only option for beer, but this is forgivable, as limiting their selection leaves more room for bottles of Grey Goose.

beer4-410x550.jpg

With everything listed above it, it’s no wonder this was my first Kronenbourg.

United Kingdom

Next we traveled across the English Channel to beer lover’s Utopia, the United Kingdom. We paid a visit to the beer stand outside Rose & Crown, which featured Stella Artois and Bass on draft, as well as Guinness by the can.

I ordered a pint of Bass, which in full disclosure has always been my favorite beer (ale). Its familiar taste always brings a smile to my face, especially when I hear The British Invasion (now known as The English Channel) playing in the background.

beer5-410x550.jpg

Two of my favorite things...A Bass and the Rose & Crown In addition to the Rose and Crown beverage stand, there are a few other outlets for beer in the U.K. Those stopping at the Fish and Chips stand for a snack will find pints of Bass and Harp available on draft.

Inside the Rose and Crown bar, one will find a lively atmosphere, and several other excellent brews on draft such as Boddingtons and Guinness. Needless to say, with so many great options for beer, the research team was delayed in the U.K. for quite some time, but I was determined to complete our journey.

beer6.jpg

Menu at Rose and Crown Beer Stand

Canada

Finally, we reached the final destination on our “Beers Around the World” tour, and visited our friendly neighbors to the North: Canada. Outside the Le Cellier Steakhouse we found the pavilion’s beverage stand, where Moosehead, Moosehead Light, and Labatt Blue are carried on draft.

I enjoyed a Moosehead, which features a mild and straightforward taste that I might have appreciated more had it not been preceded by my beloved Bass. For those visiting during the Epcot Food & Wine Festival, I find that a Moosehead and the Maple Glazed Salmon make a perfect pairing.

beer7-410x550.jpg

The beer offerings in Canada After a full day of painstaking research, I’m confident that my team and I left no tap unpulled in our quest to examine the beers of Epcot’s World Showcase. Whether you visit all 11 countries like us, or just a few here and there, it certainly is hard to beat the combination of Disney, friends, and beer. And so with the journey now complete, I ask….

Do you agree with our assessment? What’s your favorite brew in the World Showcase? Let us know in the comments section below!

http://www.disneyfoo...world-part-two/