So, as I've mentioned elsewhere, on the way home from Stone Mtn., one of our camper tires erupted into a swiss-cheese-with-steel-fiber mess. The week before, when we arrived at a different campground up at the lake, I noticed another tire was missing some of its tread (just a patch, several inches long -- the tire was still holding air).

These tires don't have a lot of wear, no visible signs of cracking, they're inflated correctly...but obviously something's up. Now I'm wondering if I should change tire brands. I remember hearing about some tires being worse than others, and since I'm replacing this one (and possibly the remaining two that haven't had problems yet), I want to be sure I get GOOD tires that aren't going to cause me grief if I take care of them well.

Thoughts?

Kate

How old are the tires, Kate? Don't go by the date of manufacture of the trailer, go by the DOT numbers on the sidewall of the tires.

There is a lot of controversy re. trailer tires. A lot of people will condemn Chinese tires, then name a brand which is made in china as a good tire. I have heard Maxxis and Goodyear make a good trailer tire, but I can't say from personal experience with either of these. Right now I am running the stock Chinese tires that came with my trailer, but will swap them out next season due to age. I mentioned before I installed a tire monitoring system on my trailer and TV which I hope will give me early warning of a failure.

By the way, I would change them all out, not just the damaged ones. No sense taking a chance with the others failing.

I think they said 08 when I looked. My parents had this trailer up in NY for two years, with covers on but sitting on a seasonal site. Since then, I've towed it from NY home to NC, to FL, the OBX, SC a couple times, the mountains...quite a bit. Maybe sitting weakened 'em?

How old is old enough for a tire that still has good tread, regardless of brand?

Kate- I agree with FtGuy. Mileage means nothing with any kind of RV tires (trailer or MH). Tires are meant to get used and if not will dry-rot - as demonstrated by your one tire that had a piece of tread come off. Most RV's sit...and sit...and sit. That is death to the tires.

I've heard different theories on how often you should change your tires, anywhere from 3 to 5 years. I've also heard controversy regarding Chinese tires. The reality is, no matter what brand you choose there will be someone that had a bad experience with them (even Goodyear & Michelin).

No matter what tire you choose look at the DOT info and if the tire was manufactured over a year ago DO NOT let them be installed. You want to purchase tires less than a year old. Tires that have sat on a shelf have already begun to dry rot. There is something about a tire getting used that keeps it pliable. I don't know the science behind it but, the petroleum within the tire keeps the tire in better shape only when the tire is used regularly. The heat and the spinning, combined, has something to do with it - which is why RV tires go bad before you would think. Little use = dry rot. Lots or use = wear & tear.

The moral to this story? Tires will go bad just sitting and tires will go bad from lots of spinning. Spinning tires mean you are using your RV. Spin those tires and get your money's worth!! :)

Tires will go bad just sitting and tires will go bad from lots of spinning.

Isn't there a song that goes like that? Sounds like there should be... ;)

So, sounds like as long as there are no recalls on the brand, and as long as the tires are young, I should be able to order three new tires (already changed out the first one with tread issue, but will check its date) and not worry too much about the specific brand. And then revisit it in about three years or so.

Thanks for the input -- I appreciate it very much!

I mentioned before I installed a tire monitoring system on my trailer and TV which I hope will give me early warning of a failure.

After you said that, I started looking into the systems available -- they look like they'd definitely provide peace of mind. I put them on my "wish list" for birthday and Christmas.

Thanks again for the help!

Kate

I would look at LT (light truck) tires. I don't care for the "ST" tires that come on most towable RV's today. Alot of the "China Bomb" comments are from ST tires. I had great service with my Bridgestone LT tires on my fifth wheel. But, there are some that say different. Tires are probably one of the most controversial issues having to do with RV'ing. Personally I tend to stay away from all the odd named chinese tires.

Despite disagreements re. trailer tires, I think we all agree that rv tires should be traded out with age regardless of miles, that overloading and improper inflation are among the primary reasons for failure, and that dry rot is not our friend. Even before the monitor, I stopped and checked tire temps regularly, and kept my speed down. It really freaks me out when I see vehicles pulling trailers going 75-80 mph down the highway.

Okay, so I just went out and looked at the tires. The new one I just got (to replace the one with missing thread) say '11. The one that blew and another say 07. And one says 06...eeks! Guess it's time to visit my friendly neighborhood tire guy.

And I hear you on the speed -- I'm not a big speeder normally (too much of a wienie), but with the camper I take my time even more.

The reality is, I know what Larry would do. He wouldn't swap out a tire that was less than 7 years old, and then he'd use it for a spare.