New sweet treats at Walt Disney World

From WDW News Today...

Some Sweet Additions to Walt Disney World

Posted on June 24, 2011

From Steven Miller on the Disney Parks Blog:

cak123234SMALL.jpg

I started my Disney career as a merchandise host on the Walt Disney World College Program in the summer of 1997. I worked in several locations at Downtown Disney Pleasure Island including D-Zerts, a former merchandise store that once contained a “show kitchen.” That is a term we use to describe merchandise locations that offer both pre-packaged consumable items (think boxed candy) and freshly made sweet treats like cookies, coffee or other desserts (basically my ideal meal each day). You may have visited other show kitchen locations likeMarceline’s Confectionary at Downtown Disney District in California or Candy Cauldron at Downtown Disney Westside in Florida. Patrice Guy, product developer for consumables at Disney Theme Park Merchandise, recently shared with me some details about the new yummy treats appearing in the show kitchens this summer. Patrice only had to say three words to grab my attention – “Mickey Cake Pops!”

“Cake pops are hot items in the consumables marketplace,” explained Patrice. “I wanted a Mickey-shaped cake pop but faced the challenge of how to execute the design. I contacted the Candy Cauldron team in Florida and, for the past two months, we worked to create the new pixie-dusted pop. It’s delicious!”

Yes – it is delicious! I had the rough assignment of testing treats for this article. The pops come in a variety of colors and are currently being offered at Candy Cauldron and Goofy’s Candy Company at Downtown Disney in Florida. They will be introduced at additional park locations soon and eventually at the Disneyland Resort.

coo123234SMALL.jpg

Patrice also shared with me some new cookies that are coming to locations in July. I love the “chocolate ear hat” decorations on them (and of course, that is what I ate first – just like a chocolate Easter bunny).

con123234SMALL.jpg

I love chocolate, particularly dark chocolate (which is supposedly good for my health but only in moderation), and it appears I’m not alone. Patrice introduced a new line of concession candies this past spring that featured a variety of boxes that had me laughing. My favorite box is “Please Stand Clear of My Chocolate,” but the most popular one has been the “Mood Chocolate.” Patrice mentioned a second wave of concession candy boxes featuring different artwork is currently in the design phase.

can123234SMALL.jpg

Meanwhile, I now have another place to get my candy fix. The World Showcase team recently set a “nostalgia candy” display in the Heritage Manor Gifts location at The American Adventure. Wow! There were all sorts of candy that I recall enjoying as a child at my grandparent’s house.