Summer is here, if you have dog, watch the toads at the fort!

There were hatchings obviously right before we arrived. As you can see from this picture we took after the snake was destroyed (pest control asked us too against my wishes), it is only a couple of days old. We also found one of its litter mates a couple of sites down in MsGus06's site. That one was put back into the woods. You just have to be careful, that is all.

IMG_0431.jpg

That's not a juvenile Eastern Diamondback. That either a juvenile Yellow Rat Snake or a Corn Snake, both very beneficial. Hard to say as they are very similar when hatched. Look at the eye. It has a round pupil. Rattlesnakes have an elliptical pupil. Also, the coloring and patterning are wrong for a rattlesnake. Juvenile rattlesnakes are born with the diamonback pattern and are fully armed.

Good on you for not wanting it killed. It's a shame though that the pest control CM didn't know any better. Maybe Disney should hire me to be their snake handler.:))

This is a juvenile Eastern Diamonback. Baby Diamondback

That's not a juvenile Eastern Diamondback. That either a juvenile Yellow Rat Snake or a Corn Snake, both very beneficial. Hard to say as they are very similar when hatched. Look at the eye. It has a round pupil. Rattlesnakes have an elliptical pupil. Also, the coloring and patterning are wrong for a rattlesnake. Juvenile rattlesnakes are born with the diamonback pattern and are fully armed.

Good on you for not wanting it killed. It's a shame though that the pest control CM didn't know any better. Maybe Disney should hire me to be their snake handler.:))

This is a juvenile Eastern Diamonback. Baby Diamondback

I disagreed and hence I mentioned I did not want it destroyed. I was promptly outvoted by the majority, including the pest control that were there. I was holding the dog, which was very squirmy and wanted a piece of the snake, no matter what kind it was. I did get to see a juvenile rattler at Angie's site. Personally, I wanted to see if I was going batty. I can argue with the best of them, but hell, I run out of breath after a while. I was asked to post this as what I was told it was. I did as I was told.

Well Jen. At least you tried. I sure wish that I could have been there. There wouldn't have been any vote or argument. I would have just taken the snake and relocated it whether anyone liked it or not. Same goes for the rattler. I've done this in the past when a group of people were surrounding a snake. That's one of the reasons I try to educate people about the snakes we have in Florida. It lets people make more informed decisions when they see one so hopefully the snake doesn't end up dead.

I'm really surprised that Disney doesn't educate their so called pest management CM's any better.

Interesting piece of wildlife trivia. More people are killed in the US each year by both deer and bees than snakes. Don't see anybody trying to kill Bambi when they see it do we?

Thanks for trying anyhow.

I teach science to approximately 700 elementary students, so I try to keep myself up on things. I never had a say in the first one, but the second snake survived. :heart:

(I really didn't have a say in the second one either, but at least it didn't meet a demise like the first.)

I love snakes, had many as pets. I'll tell you this, when you have a bunch of children running around I'll kill them if I think they have any way of harming a child. Try and stop me and you will have more than a snake to deal with. You relocate a snake at the fort, its still near children. My two cents, take them as you wish!

I love snakes, had many as pets. I'll tell you this, when you have a bunch of children running around I'll kill them if I think they have any way of harming a child. Try and stop me and you will have more than a snake to deal with. You relocate a snake at the fort, its still near children. My two cents, take them as you wish!

Good, glad to hear it. If there are any snakes around I want you nearby. :banana:

Not very nice. Think about what you saiid. I would never jeapordize the safety of a child. Good Lord, TC put the gun back in the holster. We're on the same team here.

Also, never said I would relocate a snake at the Fort did I? I have thousands of acres to relocate them within 10 minutes of the Fort and would never put a dangerous snake where it would come in contact with a child.

To me, children are the most important things around us.

Also, veiled threats aren't needed. I thought we were all Fiends.

Still would like to meet you someday. I think you'll find I'm not so bad. And I will protect your children as if they were my own.

Friends Now?

Not very nice. Think about what you saiid. I would never jeapordize the safety of a child. Good Lord, TC put the gun back in the holster. We're on the same team here.

Also, never said I would relocate a snake at the Fort did I? I have thousands of acres to relocate them within 10 minutes of the Fort and would never put a dangerous snake where it would come in contact with a child.

To me, children are the most important things around us.

Also, veiled threats aren't needed. I thought we were all Fiends.

Still would like to meet you someday. I think you'll find I'm not so bad. And I will protect your children as if they were my own.

Friends Now?

Sorry Sensei, That was not pointed to any one person. That was just my personal view on the subject. No hard feeling toward ANYBODY! Ask any fiends, I'm just there to have fun! :heart: :heart: :heart:

See? I told you I had no say. :rofl2:

It was a done deal.

And no, I don't take this as snarky or mean. I was there and TJ was there. I protested after the fact. I do remember saying to Chris (TJ Chris, not my Chris) that "couldn't we have taken it over to Animal Kingdom?" I was frowned at. It is ok. I understand, but as a scientist, I do see both sides. There were MANY children and a clueless dopey puppy there, so Chris (TJ) and my Chris were not in the wrong IMHO. Plus, the rangers TOLD them to destroy it.

As for the bufo toads, there are 5 of them in my yard each evening. My dopey puppy cannot go outside after sunset and "do his business" without supervision because he has already eaten one frog. These guys will end his life.

Just be careful people. I am just now getting over my spider bite, I don't want any other Fiends getting hurt this summer from insects, arachnids, amphibians and reptiles. Keep your eye out for those who don't know better.

See? I told you I had no say. :rofl2:

It was a done deal.

And no, I don't take this as snarky or mean. I was there and TJ was there. I protested after the fact. I do remember saying to Chris (TJ Chris, not my Chris) that "couldn't we have taken it over to Animal Kingdom?" I was frowned at. It is ok. I understand, but as a scientist, I do see both sides. There were MANY children and a clueless dopey puppy there, so Chris (TJ) and my Chris were not in the wrong IMHO. Plus, the rangers TOLD them to destroy it.

As for the bufo toads, there are 5 of them in my yard each evening. My dopey puppy cannot go outside after sunset and "do his business" without supervision because he has already eaten one frog. These guys will end his life.

Just be careful people. I am just now getting over my spider bite, I don't want any other Fiends getting hurt this summer from insects, arachnids, amphibians and reptiles. Keep your eye out for those who don't know better.

I said it before but if there is a snake in my vicinity I want both TJ and Chris there to take care of it. :popo:

I said it before but if there is a snake in my vicinity I want both TJ and Chris there to take care of it. :popo:

Oh, you betcha... and I hope they bring their biggest spider stomping shoes along too!

Toads don't bother me nearly as much as the thought of rubbing up against a big hairy spider or snake. I know they're normal outdoors but that doesn't mean I want to run into either of them if I can help it :bugeyes: :panic:

I guess we've either been unobservant on past trips or just very lucky. I love the 1500-1700 area but I'm starting to wonder if maybe it'd be such a bad thing after all to upgrade for more pavement...