Summer is here, if you have dog, watch the toads at the fort!

While we have bee at the fort this trip, two major scares have happened with our new puppy of 10 weeks. One was an encounter with a newly hatched baby Eastern diamondback rattler and the other was with a toad. Luckily in both cases, no harm was done. Obviously, we all know what the rattler can do, howeve many people don't know what bofus toads can do to dogs. If a dog licks the toad, it will die. It has glands on the outside of its body that secrete a toxin that there is no cure for. My puppy chose to swallow the frog next to the toad, which he threw up in my bed the next morning. We have had a dog death this year in our hometown already. A family lost their beloved English Bulldog.

bufo_marinus_USGS_compare.jpg

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/reptiles/eastern-diamondback-rattlesnake/

Snakes... why did it have to be snakes... and now toads too? Is nothing sacred??

Thanks for the warning. I'll be sure to mention it to DH and the kids so they're aware of it too.

DD10's stupid, yet adorable, little papillion chases anything and everything she sees... even those little flies in the grass... :argh:

Our collie, on the other hand, might sniff but rarely chases these days unless she discovers a worthy candidate.

So the rattlesnake was at the fort? OMGosh....where was it?

I hate snakes, especially rattlesnakes. Check my FB pics for the 6 footer Easter Diamondback we ran into during a bike ride in FishHawk (Lorna will know FishHawk...)

Thanks for the info on the toad though....didn't know about that one!

I once was fishing and noticed one guy in particular was catching bass like crazy when nobody else was getting a bite. I went over and asked what he was using for bait. He told me "snapping worms" and proceeded to open up a can of baby eastern diamondback rattlesnakes! His hands were covered with bites. Got his moronic buddies to take him to the hospital right away. Man, those fish loved those snakes!

I once was fishing and noticed one guy in particular was catching bass like crazy when nobody else was getting a bite. I went over and asked what he was using for bait. He told me "snapping worms" and proceeded to open up a can of baby eastern diamondback rattlesnakes! His hands were covered with bites. Got his moronic buddies to take him to the hospital right away. Man, those fish loved those snakes!

OMG, that is crazy and horrible. How could he not know those were snakes!

We are in the 1700 loop. Angie (msgus) found one of the litter mates in the rattler hatching in her site yesterday. I got a page from the rangers on what they carry around with them for identification. They told me to post to make sure you call pest control when you find one, dead or alive. I also have a page for the approved fire pits ( for you to throw them in :rofl2: ). Just kidding.

A little more about the Cane Toad - which is NOT a Florida Native, btw.

CAUTION: When this non-native species is threatened or handled, it secretes a highly toxic milky substance from its large parotoid glands at the back of its head, behind the ears. This secretion can burn your eyes, may irritate your skin, and can kill cats and dogs if they ingest the secretion. Symptoms of Giant Toad poisoning in pets include drooling, head-shaking, crying, loss of coordination, and, in more serious cases, convulsions. The dog's (or cat's) gums often turn red, an indicator used by veterinarians to distinguish toad poisoning from epilepsy. For this reason, pet owners should be familiar with their pet's normal gum color. Treatment: If you suspect toad poisoning, get a hose and run water in the side of the dog's/cat's mouth, pointing the animal's head downward so water isn't swallowed. Rub the gums and mouth to remove the toxin. This treatment is usually successful, but call your veterinarian immediately.

The Southern Toad is the one you will most likely see. bufo_terrestris_USGS_compar.jpg

• The Giant Toad has very large paratoid glands. The Southern Toad has smaller kidney-shaped paratoid glands, which secrete a substance that may be irritating to mucous membranes but is not toxic.
  • The Southern Toad has two ridges on its head that end in knobs. The Giant Toad does not have these.
  • The adult Southern Toad ranges in length from 1.75 to 4.5 inches. The adult Giant Toad ranges in length from 4 - 6 inches.

All of this came from the Florida Wildlife Extension - http://www.wec.ufl.edu/extension/wildlife_info/frogstoads/bufo_marinus.php

Well, I tell everyone to watch out for frogs and snakes and I am sitting here in the Drs office with a monster spider bite on me shoulder and arm. Thing is, there are different bites! Someone else should walk the dog, lol.

wow.

Well, I tell everyone to watch out for frogs and snakes and I am sitting here in the Drs office with a monster spider bite on me shoulder and arm. Thing is, there are different bites! Someone else should walk the dog, lol.

Jen - I sure hope you do alright with the bite(s). Hope its' nothing serious. Please let us know how it goes.

I'm making up for my inadvertent kinda sorta slight hijack in Lone Star's thread. I didn't remember where I had seen the bite comment and now I find it.

We have had bad encounters with toads in the past. They may not all be deadly, but they are all toxic and cause extreme reactions in dogs. Our lab always managed to find these things on the weekend when our vet was out of town. I know there are poisonous snakes in Florida, but you kind of get that lull of false security at Disney. We are constantly vigilant about snakes at home...but not at disney. The rain must have washed them out and we'll certainly watch much more carefully on our next trip. Thanks for the heads up.

There were hatchings obviously right before we arrived. As you can see from this picture we took after the snake was destroyed (pest control asked us too against my wishes), it is only a couple of days old. We also found one of its litter mates a couple of sites down in MsGus06's site. That one was put back into the woods. You just have to be careful, that is all.

IMG_0431.jpg

Jen - I sure hope you do alright with the bite(s). Hope its' nothing serious. Please let us know how it goes.

I'm making up for my inadvertent kinda sorta slight hijack in Lone Star's thread. I didn't remember where I had seen the bite comment and now I find it.

Here is what the bite looked like the day I got it. It morphed into a red circle with a purpleish/redish ring around it, causing me to be hounded to go to the Dr's. The rest of the story of my fainting and such is on the member's section! :rofl2:

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg