‘Room for 1 More’ Merchandise Event Celebrates the Haunted Mansion

From the Disney Parks blog. Wish we were going a little earlier - I'd be all over this!!

‘Room for 1 More’ Merchandise Event Celebrates the Haunted Mansion

posted on July 13th, 2011 by Dara Trujillo, Manager, Merchandise Synergy, Events, and Communication

Materialize, foolish mortals at the Room For 1 More merchandise event, which will celebrate one of our park’s most beloved attractions, the Haunted Mansion, at Disney’s Contemporary Resort Sept. 30, 2011.

hum324099SMALL.jpg

We invite you to step through the graveyard gates of the Haunted Mansion cemetery, recreated with “ghoulish delight” at the resort. Here you can dine in a mist-enshrouded banquet realm hidden among the crypts. While organ music plays, restless spirits will rise to entertain you during a feast provided by our ghoulish gastronomists.

Looking for somewhere to retire? Might I suggest our Ghost Gallery in the Library, where you’ll want to keep the supernatural in suspense by bidding on priceless first editions and other creepy keepsakes in our silent auction.

Room For 1 More event – P“LOTS” includes:

• Be the first to pre-purchase limited-edition event logo products, Haunted Mansion-themed collectibles and Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary collectibles.
  • A deadly silent auction that includes a performance art lot by Noah.
  • Meet and greets with world-renowned artists such as Robert Olszewski, Jim Shore, Greg McCullough and more.
  • A cryptic conversation with our council of Walt Disney Imagineers.
  • Ghostly dinner feast with haunting sounds and full-bodied entertainment.
  • A deadly departure gift … don’t forget to hurry back!

Mortals dying to attend the Room For 1 More event can request tickets through July 20. For more details and a sneak peek at the treasures that will be featured at the event, visit ArtofDisneyParks.com.

Happy haunting!

More from the Art of Disney Parks site...

Attention Foolish Mortals: There's always Room For 1 More!

Room_For_1_More_Logo_SM.JPG

Room for 1 More

Friday, September 30, 2011

9:00am - 9:00pm

Disney's Contemporary Resort

Materialize, Foolish Mortals for an underworld party of the Haunted Mansion at Disney's Contemporary Resort, where the disembodied are dying to take you on a Fright of Fantasy. Our Ghost Host will ensure that the residents of the Mansion are in high spirits and ready to greet you as they come out to socialize and immortalize during the evening.

From tombstones to headstones, we have left no stone unturned as we invite you to step through the graveyard gates of the Mansion cemetery, recreated with ghoulish delight inside Disney's Contemporary Resort. Here you can dine in a mist enshrouded banquet realm hidden among the crypts. While the organ plays, restless spirits will rise to entertain you during a Mansion's feast where everything is laid to rest by our Ghoulish Gastronomists. The cryptic dreams that haunt you in the night will be exchanged and explained by expert apparitions. Don't fear - there are plenty of other restless spirits just dying to meet you throughout the night!

Have I peeked your curiosity or scared you to death?

Looking for somewhere to retire? Might I suggest our Ghost Gallery in the Library, you will definitely want to keep the supernatural in suspense by bidding on priceless first editions and other creepy keepsakes in a silent but deadly auction.

Shhhhh . . . mustn't wake the dead. Oops too late, they're already here!

Should you care to join us, be sure to bring your death certificate as final arrangements need to be made on your behalf for a spook-tacular event. Don't be left hangin' in regions beyond -

this will be a party to die for!

To provide a fair and equitable distribution of Room for 1 More event tickets, guests wishing to purchase event admission need to submit a request by answering the questions below. Guests will be able to choose either one ticket or two tickets during the request process. Requests will be accepted until 11:59 PM ET on July 20, 2011. Submissions will be randomly selected until all tickets are distributed. The random selection will then continue for placement on the waiting list should guests decline to purchase awarded tickets. Guest names may only be submitted once; duplicate entries will be removed.

Event Admission is $285.00 per Guest

Event Information:

Please click on the links below to find out information on the event itinerary and a get a sneak preview of some of the items available. Continue to watch as we update it with more hauntingly fun items.

Room for 1 More Product Preview Catalog

Room for 1 More Skeleton Itinerary

Room For 1 More Event includes:

h Be the first to pre-purchase limited edition event logo product, Haunted Mansion themed collectibles and Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary collectibles.

h Deadly silent auction including a performance art lot by Noah.

h Artist Viewing to meet and greet with other worldly renowned artists such as Robert Olszewski, Jim Shore, Greg McCullough & more.

h A Cryptic Conversation with our ghoulish council of Walt Disney Imagineers.

h Ghostly feast with haunting sounds and full-bodied entertainment.

h Deadly Departure Gift.

Event and all information described herein is subject to change or cancellation without notice.

©Disney

• 1 month later...

Oh dear - more stuff I need! ;)

From the Disney Parks blog...

More Room For Haunted Mansion Event at Disney’s Contemporary Resort

posted on September 1st, 2011 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

smm103139SMALL.jpg

The first time I experienced The Haunted Mansion at Magic Kingdom Park, I didn’t see it. Before visiting Florida as a child, I had never been to a haunted house. Clearly, the delightfully unlivable mansion was too much for me back then since I only listened to that first ride. Today, the attraction is one of my favorites. My son and I recently visited there where we played in the extended graveyard queue and had a ball with the 999 happy haunts. This Fall marks the 40th anniversary of the attraction, and to celebrate, we are holding a merchandise event called “Room for 1 More” (we announced it via the Disney Parks Blog back in July). I caught up with Tyler Dumas, Disney Design Group Graphic Artist, to learn more about his work for that hauntingly awesome event logo.

“I’m a huge fan of The Haunted Mansion,” exclaimed Tyler. “For the logo, we focused on the graveyard caretaker since he would be the one eventually caring for that ‘one more’ volunteer. My fellow artist Brian Blackmore created the character sketch of him and his dog. I envisioned a grungy feel to the artwork, so I chose three or four dark colors and used a classic gothic font. I think the tee-shirts capture that grungy feel the best.”

You may recall Tyler’s work from another 40th Anniversary-related item earlier this past year – the Cinderella Castle collage. The “Room For 1 More” logo art is featured on a variety of items including a hat, messenger bag, tumbler and a timepiece.

smm023938SMALL.jpg

The logo merchandise is only a small sampling of unique merchandise created for this event. We have several well known artists who will be debuting items at this event including George Scribner, Greg McCullough, Elisabete Gomes, Dave Avanzino, Jim Shore, Robert Olszewski and more. I spoke with Disney Design Group artist Costa Alavezos, who you may remember from a recent article discussing those precious Disney Ear Hat holiday ornaments. Costa has created several items for this event but my favorite is titled “Graveyard Band.”

“I created an original work on an 18-inch by 24-inch canvas titled ‘Graveyard Band,’” explained Costa. “It took me about three- to four weeks to complete it as I would work on it a little each night at home. The graveyard is the scene I remember the best from the attraction, particularly the band that greets you at its entrance. There are so many amazing things to see in that part that I wish the ride would slow down [laughs].”

smm039418SMALL.jpg

There will also be some unique collectible one-of-a-kind Vinylmation figures designed by Noah, Miss Mindy (who recently had two incredible figures at the D23 Expo), Monty Maldovan and Quynh Kimball. I also love the collectible (and reversible) Disney Ear Hat that comes with both a pin and Vinylmation 3-inch figure.

smm049318SMALL.jpg

Speaking of pins, there will be a unique feature to several of them that uses a black light (something that was a hit for the pins celebrating the 40th Anniversary of The Haunted Mansion at Disneyland in 2009). There is a lanyard medal featuring a gargoyle from the stretching room that contains a black light attachment. When shined on certain pins and packaging, the light will reveal hidden things (Tyler mentioned to look for three ghosts who like to follow people home).

The best news I have to share is that, like the name of the event implies, we still have “room for one more” guest. If you’d like ticket information or to see more of the unique items created, please visit ArtofDisneyParks.com. Any volunteers?

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/09/more-room-for-haunted-mansion-event-at-contemporary-resort/