From the Disney Food blog. One of my favorite places to visit for a lovely cup of hot tea on a cool day/evening at Animal Kingdom...

Hidden Gem: Animal Kingdom’s Royal Anandapur Tea Company

Jul 7th, 2011 by AJ. I like to play a game with myself at Disney parks. It’s called “pretend I live there and I’m not super rushing to do or see anything.”

While this game isn’t always successful, I’ve found that when I get up early and head into the parks during extra magic hour or right at opening time, I can claim a little bit of peace and quiet in some of the less populated areas. And as Animal Kingdom in Walt Disney World is the most beautiful Disney park I’ve been in, it’s one of my favorites to visit in the relative peace of early morning.

Tea-Sign-3-500x333.jpg

Tea Company Sign At these times, most guests head straight to Expedition Everest; the rest veer left toward Harambe and Kilimanjaro Safaris. Me? I keep on going through Asia toward the very back of the park — to the Anandapur Tea Company — in a section of the park that houses restaurants, walking trails, and a water ride.

Since few people want to do any of those things in the early morning, it can be pretty empty back there, but it’s a great spot to get a mild caffeine fix and some breakfast pastries.

Wide-View-of-Tea-Shop-500x333.jpg

Royal Anandapur Tea Company

Atmosphere

The Tea Company is designed as a regional, Asian tea stop, so there’s lots of fun themeing to look at!

Themeing-500x333.jpg

Tea service

Themeing-Teas-500x105.jpg

Teas

Themeing-2-500x333.jpg

themeing Tea-Company-Sign-2-500x335.jpg

Of course, when you’re at the Animal Kingdom, waiting in line is seldom a problem — there’s so much detail to take in and so many interesting imagineering additions to explore.

Eats

The Tea Company offers a variety of teas from around the world and will often throw in a few seasonal specialty options. Iced teas and coffees (from Joffrey’s) as well as hot chocolate, frozen lemonade and cappuccino, and fruit smoothies are also available. Try a sweet, spicy and/or full-bodied tea. You might just find a new favorite!

Specialty-Teas-277x550.jpg

Menu -- click image for larger version

Hot-Teas-266x550.jpg

Hot Teas -- click image for larger version

Iced-Teas-424x550.jpg

Iced Teas -- click image for larger version

Tart-and-Tangy-Tea-Special-424x550.jpg

Tart and Tangy specialty tea I especially like that they use loose teas here, fashioning a “tea bag” for each person out of their chosen blend.

Tea-without-Top-367x550.jpg

Cup of tea

Tea-with-top-367x550.jpg

Convenient lid Choose from three cup sizes, and grab any extras you need at the side of the kiosk. Whole or skim milk is available.

Cup-Sizes-500x314.jpg

Cup Sizes

Extras-500x333.jpg

Extras Need some breakfast? Check out the fresh pastries:

Pastries-367x550.jpg

Pastries

Overall

This is one of my favorite spots to visit first thing in the morning, or later in the day when I’d like to relax and unwind. There’s something about the slant of the sun at those times of day that make this part of the Animal Kingdom particularly beautiful.

Choose from the wide variety of teas (another reason it’s one of my favorite spots — there’s always something new to try!) and take your beverage or snack to one of the more isolated seating areas on the back pathway between Asia and Africa. Enjoy the great view of the Tree of Life, people watch, and enjoy!